Never Enough Money

Default Pat Warner, how'd you do those dovetails?

Pat, Fifth photo from top, or second from bottom at
http://www.patwarner.com/t_square.html.

Being a router guru, I assume you used a router. Did you also use a
jig, like the Leigh, Akeda, or Porter-Cable?

I must confess, I have not read all the text on your web page so I
apologize if you describe how you did it somewhere and I was too lazy
to find it....

Patriarch

"Never Enough Money" wrote in
oups.com:

Pat, Fifth photo from top, or second from bottom at
http://www.patwarner.com/t_square.html.

Being a router guru, I assume you used a router. Did you also use a
jig, like the Leigh, Akeda, or Porter-Cable?

I must confess, I have not read all the text on your web page so I
apologize if you describe how you did it somewhere and I was too lazy
to find it....

Have you read Pat's jigs & fixtures book? It's worth the cash.

Patriarch

An interesting risk-free method, albeit contrarian.
The case work is assembled with trivial joinery (very shallow t&g,
e.g.). Then with special templets and standard cutters the dovetail
ways are cut. Spacing is arbitrary, cutters are too. Arrange to suit.
Now make the pins on the router table, contrasting, subtle, or matching
stock. Glue&Slide the pins home and dress ends and faces. Pix at:
http://www.patwarner.com/images/t_square5.jpg
Working on a product for just such a system.

Lee DeRaud

On 13 May 2005 05:42:34 -0700, wrote:

An interesting risk-free method, albeit contrarian.
The case work is assembled with trivial joinery (very shallow t&g,
e.g.). Then with special templets and standard cutters the dovetail
ways are cut. Spacing is arbitrary, cutters are too. Arrange to suit.
Now make the pins on the router table, contrasting, subtle, or matching
stock. Glue&Slide the pins home and dress ends and faces. Pix at:
http://www.patwarner.com/images/t_square5.jpg
Working on a product for just such a system.

So (assuming I parsed that correctly and believe what I'm seeing in
the picture), it's just the "mortise and loose tenon" concept applied
to (pseudo) dovetail/box-joint?

Hmmm...does that mean the back ends of the pins (hidden by the square
in your picture) are round? (Or at least have rounded corners,
depending on the cutter diameter.)

Lee

It is trivial; that's the point. Pins terminate square ended. The ways
were chopped square. A full width top covers the connection.