Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BMW R100RS leaking rocker cover

G'day,
title pretty well says it all. Right hand rocker
cover has small persistent oil leak. Notice half a dozen drops of oil
beneath rocker overnight. No big deal but irritation value is huge.
Have fitted new gasket, helicoil insert in centre stud, new stud with
nut on inside end .
Still bloody leaking. Next step is either grin and bear it or pull
rocker cover again and use some silastic gasket type cement as well as
gasket, or get cover machined flat.
Should've checked if it was warped before but didn't. (sigh) If I get
it machined would I have to get the head machined as well? Only way I
know to check if warped is put a straight edge across it. Old bushy
mechanic I used to know would use a louvre (sheet of glass) out of a
window, seemed to work for him.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
So far have reconditioned carbies, retimed, new plugs and new ignition
trigger (hall effect) device. Now running like a bewdy!! Except for
the irritating bloody leak. Tia.

Mac.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

If the stud is not square with the head sealing surface it could prevent
even pressure on the gasket. You can use sandpaper on a flat surface to
check the cover for flatness and to make it flat if it isn't. A straight
edge is not very helpful as you need a flat plane. Machining should not be
necessary. Gasket sealers can help but can also cause gaskets to slip out of
place when the cover is tightened.
Don Young
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

wrote in message

[...]

Make sure both surfaces are flat and true, use a new gasket, with no sealer,
and clean the surface well with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner before
assembly. Get the surfaces clean and DRY! I have used this method many times
over the years and any time I have removed the part later the gasket was
well adhered to both surfaces.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:16:49 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks Greg and Don, the gasket was new and surfaces clean but not
with thinners or brake cleaner. Think I'll take it off again and
clean thoroughly and then either (a) make up own thicker gasket from
cork (like the old days!) (b) reuse fitted gasket which is almost new
and use something like Cat gasket cement or (c) thoroughly reclean,
sand and see how that goes. Thanks again, regards,
Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

Still bloody leaking. Next step is either grin and bear it or pull
rocker cover again and use some silastic gasket type cement as well as
gasket, or get cover machined flat.

You know that this unique motorcycle with heated food pegs .. er .. the
boxer, tends to fall on the covers (depending on the drivers skills).
Thus, they get easily warped. You either have to check that they are
flat (the covers, not the head) or (if they are flat) use a decend
sealing like hylomar or my beloved Locktite 5205 (or a number quite near
that).
As others sayd, no big deal getting it flat on a sanding paper.

Nick, from BMW-town Munich
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article ,
says...

G'day,
title pretty well says it all. Right hand rocker
cover has small persistent oil leak. Notice half a dozen drops of oil
beneath rocker overnight. No big deal but irritation value is huge.
Have fitted new gasket, helicoil insert in centre stud, new stud with
nut on inside end .

You probably have a porosity in the cover somewhere. Possibly in the
head. Has the bike been down on it's side ever?

To put this in perspective, I've got 4 bmws in various shape. Nearly
every one has some buggering on the valve covers, some have been ground
flat on the outside and are visibly starred on the inside.

I *never* change the gasket when I do valves. The bikes get ONE valve
cover gasket and it pretty much gets reused for the life of the bike.
The surfaces on the head and the cover are pretty rough - and the gaskets
never leak at that interface.

One way to pin down *exactly* where the leak originates is to clean it
off really well, and the spray on some foot powder from one of those
spray cans. It will turn everything white and you can see exactly where
the problem starts.

Your RS probably has the black square ones, right? If you find that
there's a porosity, post back because I never did like the square ones,
and put repro round ones on my RS from Bobs.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:33:34 GMT, "David R. Birch"

[...]

If all else fails, cover the Beemer insignia with H-D emblems to
explain the oil leak.

I was aghast to find a small drip from my R90/6 due to a pan gasket leak.

I've got a 1995 H-D FLHTP with 155,000+ miles on it that's never
leaked a drop of oil. I've also got a '37 H-D EL that makes up for it
g.

In any event, one has to determine th' exact location of a leak before
fixing it can be addressed. Until that is known, all we can do is
guess as to why and how to stop it. Who knows, maybe putting a Harley
emblem in th' right place would work, heh, heh.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Dec 2005 14:53:31 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I was aghast to find a small drip from my R90/6 due to a pan gasket leak.

I've got a 1995 H-D FLHTP with 155,000+ miles on it that's never
leaked a drop of oil. I've also got a '37 H-D EL that makes up for it
g.

The newer bike can be expected to be tight, it's no suprise the EL
(you own a *knucklehead*??) isn't.

Yes Sir, it's a pretty much stock 61 ci Knuck. Anything can be made
to be oil leak free if one is anal and motivated enough to go there.
Truth be told, I'm still rather amused when I look under th' 1995 and
see *no* leaks.

But he R90/6 shares more in common with the EL than anything else.
The pan gasket is cork, and the bolts holding it on go through into
the sump. Unless the bolt threads are sealed, the bolts that are
through-holes *will* weep.

Until it runs out of oil g. And I'll bet you a libation of choice
that given th' time and materials, you could come up with a leakproof
fastening design for that application too. Question is, is it worth
it?

Likewise the rear main seal on those things is never quite right.
BMW has gone through about 5 fixes over the years. Each one was
*the* fix. gg

Only took about 80 years for H-D to cure th' primary leak issue, heh,
heh.

The good news is, those bike run just fine with weepy rear main
seals. My oldest bike used to have a small wad of paper towels
stuffed up under the gearbox. Change the diaper every week and
it never left a mark.

There ya go! Low tech, easy, effective and cheap.

It appears th' OP has received some good advice on his leaking
problem. How far he's willing to go to solve it is yet to be known.
Good luck to him.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:52:28 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
wrote:

[...]

David

My Harley does *not* leak oil ! It marks it's territory ...

And they, like dogs..love riding in the back of a pickup truck

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bart D. Hull

Use "Indian Head gasket shellac". Very similar to the stuff
Holley carbs used to use with its carb gaskets. Spray on
both sides of new vc gasket, let dry and wipe all seating
surfaces clean of oil before reassembling. My R60/5 used to
leak in this fashion before I did this. BMW was a bit shy in
using fasteners I guess. How did they expect a "wet" cover
to seal with just 1 main bolt and a couple of "hidden" 10mm
nuts on studs.

I had that Beemer howling at 30 honest HP on a dyno. 38MM
Dell'orto pumpers with oversize valves and ported intake and
exhaust on the heads. Oh yea, shaved about 4 lbs off the
flywheel as well.

Last I heard some moron who ended up owning it broke both
pistons at the wrist pin putting crap gas in it. When it
pings loud enough to hear it over the exhaust, you need to
back off until you get some real gas. (Premium or better.)
SIGH!

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:41:43 -0800, wrote:

On 4 Dec 2005 14:53:31 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

thanks to all for the advice, trying to get some
time, maybe tomorrow (Tues 6th) with a bit of luck.
Regards,
Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wws

wrote:

[...]

Wait a minute,
Aren't these machines touted for treks through Greater Asia? The Cape?
Tierra del Fuego?
Malibu?
ANWR?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

Only took about 80 years for H-D to cure th' primary leak issue, heh,
heh.

Didn't Porsche solve HD's engine problems by starting from scratch with
a new engine?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Bart D. Hull says...

Last I heard some moron who ended up owning it broke both
pistons at the wrist pin putting crap gas in it. When it
pings loud enough to hear it over the exhaust, you need to
back off until you get some real gas. (Premium or better.)
SIGH!

You can't get gas good enough to run those bikes with the
heads the manufacturer put on them. When I could get 95
octane it was OK, after they went down to 93 I had to put
thicker base gaskets on the bikes. Either that or dual-plug.
When I tore the one bike down I did find cracks in the
pin bosses of the pistons. Not a good situation.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 03:08:24 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:52:28 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

schnipp

My Harley does *not* leak oil ! It marks it's territory ...

And they, like dogs..love riding in the back of a pickup truck

Hey Gunner, this is 2005 man. Pickups are so yesterday, these days
they like to ride inside $100k double decker, enclosed trailers that
have a matching $100k paint job as th' $1M diesel pusher motorhome
that's pullin' it. Guess you haven't been to Sturgis lately g.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:52:28 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

schnipp

My Harley does *not* leak oil ! It marks it's territory ...

And they, like dogs..love riding in the back of a pickup truck

Hey Gunner, this is 2005 man. Pickups are so yesterday, these days
they like to ride inside $100k double decker, enclosed trailers that
have a matching $100k paint job as th' $1M diesel pusher motorhome
that's pullin' it. Guess you haven't been to Sturgis lately g.

Snarl

Chuckle..you are correct indeed. Dirt bikers here in California are
the same way..I run with them on the way home every Friday night as
they leave LA and head up into the Central Valley for the weekends
play.

Sounds like a cluster**** to me, don't know how you can do that
commute. I sure as hell couldn't.

Last time I was in Sturgis..I was servicing machine tools. Lots of
firearms manufacturers there these days.

Really? I guess it makes sense... major manufacturers?

I did make it to Sturgis once in a pickup...with my Pan in the
back...last Harley I owned...never again. Then I got smart..and
bought a boxer.

Yeah, always had a soft spot for those too. How far south of Sacto
are ya? I get down that way occasionally in th' summer and would be
happy to let ya take my cop bike ('95 FLHTP) for a spin. It might
just surprise you, pleasantly so. Just don't turn on Mr. Siren when
there's cops around g.

Snarl... no, I'm not a cop

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:52:28 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

schnipp

My Harley does *not* leak oil ! It marks it's territory ...

And they, like dogs..love riding in the back of a pickup truck

Hey Gunner, this is 2005 man. Pickups are so yesterday, these days
they like to ride inside $100k double decker, enclosed trailers that
have a matching $100k paint job as th' $1M diesel pusher motorhome
that's pullin' it. Guess you haven't been to Sturgis lately g.

Snarl

Chuckle..you are correct indeed. Dirt bikers here in California are
the same way..I run with them on the way home every Friday night as
they leave LA and head up into the Central Valley for the weekends
play.

Sounds like a cluster**** to me, don't know how you can do that
commute. I sure as hell couldn't.

I either work..or starve in a reefer box. Not a lot of work that a 52
yr old guy can do around here that will pay the bills. Maint worker in
a Nestle or Frito Lay plant maybe. Doing the 9-5 would be really hard
to get used to again..and I like my work, and I like being gone from a
moderately bad situation at home. Shrug. Though being away from my
toys most of the week is bad. And expenses are high.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...cal/news02.txt

I did make it to Sturgis once in a pickup...with my Pan in the
back...last Harley I owned...never again. Then I got smart..and
bought a boxer.

Yeah, always had a soft spot for those too. How far south of Sacto
are ya? I get down that way occasionally in th' summer and would be
happy to let ya take my cop bike ('95 FLHTP) for a spin. It might
just surprise you, pleasantly so. Just don't turn on Mr. Siren when
there's cops around g.

Snarl... no, I'm not a cop

I understand that Harely is much better now..since they went all
Yuppie and all. Im not the sort to want to be part of the Yuppie
Harley Lifestyle (tm) with HD on everything I own.

When I was riding every day..the only cleaning device I used..was a
putty knife a couple times a year. Maybe a pressure washer, if I hit
a coyote, and the smell got too rank. Shrug G

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

G'day, used Cat gasket cement, rubbery orange type stuff. Cleaned
thoroughly first and put on both sides of gasket, head and rocker
cover. No leaks. Thanks for all responses.
Regards,
Mac

A/C A-coil drip pan leaking JOHN D Home Repair 6 July 25th 05 08:57 PM
leaking toilet, supply line or filling valve? [email protected] Home Ownership 4 May 18th 05 08:41 PM
Full cover or pergola on patio Alex Home Repair 1 May 31st 04 05:44 AM
Garage Floor Cover PJ Home Repair 3 April 3rd 04 02:53 AM
Inground Pool cover AG Home Repair 0 July 30th 03 02:11 AM