Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BMW R100RS leaking rocker cover

G'day,
title pretty well says it all. Right hand rocker
cover has small persistent oil leak. Notice half a dozen drops of oil
beneath rocker overnight. No big deal but irritation value is huge.
Have fitted new gasket, helicoil insert in centre stud, new stud with
nut on inside end .
Still bloody leaking. Next step is either grin and bear it or pull
rocker cover again and use some silastic gasket type cement as well as
gasket, or get cover machined flat.
Should've checked if it was warped before but didn't. (sigh) If I get
it machined would I have to get the head machined as well? Only way I
know to check if warped is put a straight edge across it. Old bushy
mechanic I used to know would use a louvre (sheet of glass) out of a
window, seemed to work for him.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
So far have reconditioned carbies, retimed, new plugs and new ignition
trigger (hall effect) device. Now running like a bewdy!! Except for
the irritating bloody leak. Tia.

Mac.