Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default BMW R100RS leaking rocker cover

In article ,
says...

G'day,
title pretty well says it all. Right hand rocker
cover has small persistent oil leak. Notice half a dozen drops of oil
beneath rocker overnight. No big deal but irritation value is huge.
Have fitted new gasket, helicoil insert in centre stud, new stud with
nut on inside end .

You probably have a porosity in the cover somewhere. Possibly in the
head. Has the bike been down on it's side ever?

To put this in perspective, I've got 4 bmws in various shape. Nearly
every one has some buggering on the valve covers, some have been ground
flat on the outside and are visibly starred on the inside.

I *never* change the gasket when I do valves. The bikes get ONE valve
cover gasket and it pretty much gets reused for the life of the bike.
The surfaces on the head and the cover are pretty rough - and the gaskets
never leak at that interface.

One way to pin down *exactly* where the leak originates is to clean it
off really well, and the spray on some foot powder from one of those
spray cans. It will turn everything white and you can see exactly where
the problem starts.

Your RS probably has the black square ones, right? If you find that
there's a porosity, post back because I never did like the square ones,
and put repro round ones on my RS from Bobs.

Jim

please reply to: