Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default BMW R100RS leaking rocker cover

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:52:28 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
wrote:

G'day,
title pretty well says it all. Right hand rocker
cover has small persistent oil leak. Notice half a dozen drops of
oil beneath rocker overnight. No big deal but irritation value is
huge. Have fitted new gasket, helicoil insert in centre stud, new
stud with nut on inside end .
Still bloody leaking. Next step is either grin and bear it or pull
rocker cover again and use some silastic gasket type cement as well
as gasket, or get cover machined flat.
Should've checked if it was warped before but didn't. (sigh) If I
get it machined would I have to get the head machined as well? Only
way I know to check if warped is put a straight edge across it. Old
bushy mechanic I used to know would use a louvre (sheet of glass)
out of a window, seemed to work for him.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
So far have reconditioned carbies, retimed, new plugs and new
ignition trigger (hall effect) device. Now running like a bewdy!! Except
for the irritating bloody leak. Tia.

Mac.

If all else fails, cover the Beemer insignia with H-D emblems to
explain the oil leak.

I was aghast to find a small drip from my R90/6 due to a pan gasket
leak.
David

My Harley does *not* leak oil ! It marks it's territory ...

And they, like dogs..love riding in the back of a pickup truck

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner