Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dead compressor? Help!!

Hello, I have 2 Craftsman compressors giving me the same problem. They
are as follows:

Model: 919.167240 - 15 gallons - 150PSi.
Model: 919.165500 - 33 gallons - 135PSi.

The motors/engines work but the gages don't report any pressure. Also,
after close inspection It appears to be that the tanks are in great
condition. Both these items are relativeley new and I was wondering if
anybody in this forum can suggest a way to troubleshoot these items. I
called Sears and they say they would charge me $57.99 + parts for a
minor repair or $97.95 + parts for a major repair.

Please assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

Sounds like bad reed valves. If you can find out who actually made the
compressors you may be able to order the parts for a few bucks. Or try
a compressor shop for parts. I ended up rebuilding my three cylinder
compressor with reed valves, rings, and bearings for a small amount of
money. Good Luck.
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The maker is sears... Craftsman. Sears has an online diagram where I
can order every individual part. If it turns out I have bad reed
valves. Is this the equivalent of overhauling my car engine, or is it a
simple procedure?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

wrote in message
oups.com...
The maker is sears... Craftsman. Sears has an online diagram where I
can order every individual part. If it turns out I have bad reed
valves. Is this the equivalent of overhauling my car engine, or is it a
simple procedure?

I think it's reed valves too...maybe an hour if you've never done it before.
Dive in!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys... all let you all know how it turned out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I pulled up the drawing for the first one, I have "up close and
personal" experience with that compressor head. I can't say anything
good about them.

The problem I've been running into is that the outlet pipe is held in
place by a rubber 'O' ring (actually shaped more like a yoke) that is
clamped in place by the head. It is subject to lots of heat, lots of
vibration. It vulcanizes onto the head, gets brittle, and just pulls
out. Life expectancy measured in months.

The motor just runs, you can hear a hissing sound, no pressure build up.
You can check without dissembly by starting it up, try pushing and
pulling on the copper outlet pipe. If it moves more than 1/8" or so, or
pushing it in seems to give you a bit of pressure, you have the problem.

The gasket (item # 6, part number CAC-1212) runs about $5 plus $5
shipping. Not worth the $10 to install it unless you plan to dump the
whole unit on some unsuspecting victim. Go to www.sears.com, click on
"parts", key in your model number, go to the exploded view drawing.

wrote:
Hello, I have 2 Craftsman compressors giving me the same problem. They
are as follows:

Model: 919.167240 - 15 gallons - 150PSi.
Model: 919.165500 - 33 gallons - 135PSi.

The motors/engines work but the gages don't report any pressure. Also,
after close inspection It appears to be that the tanks are in great
condition. Both these items are relativeley new and I was wondering if
anybody in this forum can suggest a way to troubleshoot these items. I
called Sears and they say they would charge me $57.99 + parts for a
minor repair or $97.95 + parts for a major repair.

Please assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well,
I decided to pop open the pump/motor compartment on my 919.167240. I
think I found the problem. The "Timing Belt" is broken (Part AC-0815)
was broken. I went to sears online and found out the price is $9.95 for
the replacement. I guess this would explain why despite the motor
turning no pressure would build up in the tank. Anyways, this leads me
to my next question. Is installing the timing belt as simple as running
it through both gears, or is it more than I'm anticipating. Please
advise!!

Thanks!!

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

There shouldn't be any timing problems like you'd find in a car engine.
Reed valves aren't going to hit a piston through being out of timing
and there is no ignition to worry about. . Now if your compressor had
popet valves that would be different (and much more expensive to build)
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On 7 Dec 2005 19:33:59 -0800, "Gary" wrote:
Now if your compressor had
popet valves that would be different (and much more expensive to build)
73 Gary

Why? The belt would be between the motor and compressor. I have never
heard of any timing mechanism in a compressor. The intake valve is
spring loaded and pushed open by atmospheric pressure, the outlet
valve is pushed open by the compressed air
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

Popet valves and thier seats, springs, retainers, ect. cost a lot more
than simple reed valves. More material and more machining.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Popet valves and thier seats, springs, retainers, ect. cost a lot more
than simple reed valves. More material and more machining.

And easier to service and repair. My old (no, ancient - 1963) two-stage
pump leaked like a seive when I got it (free, on a rusted-out tank). It
took only about an hour to re-face the three leaky valves, and get the thing
pumping like new again. It still had some of the honing cross-hatch on the
cylinder walls!

LLoyd