Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Dead compressor? Help!!

I pulled up the drawing for the first one, I have "up close and
personal" experience with that compressor head. I can't say anything
good about them.

The problem I've been running into is that the outlet pipe is held in
place by a rubber 'O' ring (actually shaped more like a yoke) that is
clamped in place by the head. It is subject to lots of heat, lots of
vibration. It vulcanizes onto the head, gets brittle, and just pulls
out. Life expectancy measured in months.

The motor just runs, you can hear a hissing sound, no pressure build up.
You can check without dissembly by starting it up, try pushing and
pulling on the copper outlet pipe. If it moves more than 1/8" or so, or
pushing it in seems to give you a bit of pressure, you have the problem.

The gasket (item # 6, part number CAC-1212) runs about $5 plus $5
shipping. Not worth the $10 to install it unless you plan to dump the
whole unit on some unsuspecting victim. Go to www.sears.com, click on
"parts", key in your model number, go to the exploded view drawing.

wrote:
Hello, I have 2 Craftsman compressors giving me the same problem. They
are as follows:

Model: 919.167240 - 15 gallons - 150PSi.
Model: 919.165500 - 33 gallons - 135PSi.

The motors/engines work but the gages don't report any pressure. Also,
after close inspection It appears to be that the tanks are in great
condition. Both these items are relativeley new and I was wondering if
anybody in this forum can suggest a way to troubleshoot these items. I
called Sears and they say they would charge me $57.99 + parts for a
minor repair or $97.95 + parts for a major repair.

Please assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay