Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim McGill

Default High temperature plastic gasket

Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and
neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and
ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a
reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that
sheets of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern
spatulas that you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good
place to start. But after some Google work which either gives me way too
much or no information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so
I'm tossing it to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called
and where I'd find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

Thanks

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

Buna N, from what I remember. It's a man-made rubber with super qualities
such as you mention.

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and
neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and
ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a
reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that
sheets of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern
spatulas that you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good
place to start. But after some Google work which either gives me way too
much or no information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so
I'm tossing it to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called
and where I'd find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

Thanks

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Go to a housewares department in Sears or such and get a "Silpat" which is a
silicone baking mat good to 500 F.

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and
neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and
ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a
reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that sheets
of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern spatulas that
you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good place to start. But
after some Google work which either gives me way too much or no
information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so I'm tossing it
to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called and where I'd
find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

Thanks

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim McGill" skrev i en meddelelse
Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and
neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and
ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a
reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that
sheets of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern
spatulas that you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good
place to start. But after some Google work which either gives me way too
much or no information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so
I'm tossing it to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called
and where I'd find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

I dont know about alcohol, but plate heatexchangers made for milk
pasteurisation use nitrile rubber gaskets.. Most of these heatexchangers are
made for upto 150 deg. C working temperature.. Nitrile rubber is available
as sheets if you find the proper supplier.. Look for companies that sells
food grade conveyor belts

I have a couple of 4 mm thick, 450mm wide rolls of this stuff, but since I
live in Denmark it may be problematic getting it to you :-)..

The supplier should know if it will work with alcohol or not... If they cant
tell you, maybe someone at http://www.alfalaval.com will..

/peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and
neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and
ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a
reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that sheets
of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern spatulas that
you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good place to start. But
after some Google work which either gives me way too much or no
information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so I'm tossing it
to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called and where I'd
find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

Gore makes some sort of compressible gasket material that works really well
and should have no problem at your temperature. It's a fluorinated material
of some sort I think, similar to Teflon. Not very cheap, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Jim, have you called the guys at Tap Plastics in Bellevue?

GWE

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Stupid question of the day.... AllTel - Jim Hubbard Electronics 190 August 21st 05 05:28 PM
Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM