Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Oh no! Buying a toolbox...

B.B. wrote:

... I now have my heart pretty much set on
a brown Kennedy roll a round unit:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/... ($1600)

I Googled "Kennedy 4410b" and the 1st hit had it for $1334. It was in
N.J., so may not apply to you, but you might want to Google yourself. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I thought so too....and the parents had taken the wheels off the
cabinets and screwed the toolboxes to the walls.

The "sharp" corners do still remain but actually no more so than much
of the cabinet hardware available.

TMT

Hmmm, kid running and smashing into the corner of a steel toolbox bolted
to the wall vs. kid running and smashing into the corner of a wooden
dresser sitting a few inches from the wall so it can tip and absorb some
of the impact.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Mine is Black silk covered. It was the WW II and just post - production where the
pretty wood shipped to Washington and the fine wood into weapons. The box is great
but it is swelling in moisture - needs less of that - and 51 years old. Dad and I
bought it together in the basement of a Hardware store - buying his Sheldon lathe. :-)

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Pete C. wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Actually this is a good thread to bring up these questions...

"What makes a good toolbox good?"

"How do you determine a toolbox is a good one?"

"How much would you pay for a good USED toolbox?"

"Are older toolboxes better built than their new counterparts?"

"Finally, what color should a toolbox be?" :)

Black is my preference.

Pete C.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Actually all their taller cabinet furniture was screwed to the
walls...earthquake country.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Strollo

I was told a secret once on how to get around this.

You tell them you're a shareholder. Shareholders are supposedly allowed to
purchase without being a business. Just talk convincingly - I doubt if they'll make you produce
your stock certificates...

bB [...] Thankyou for the suggestions. I now have my heart pretty
bB much set on a brown Kennedy roll a round unit:
bB http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...l?ItemKey=1RG3
bB 2 Just need to either locate someone who can get it to me now (and
bB maybe for less) or just bite the bullet and order it through
bB Grainger. As an aside, I know I can't order from Grainger over the
bB internet as an individual, but if I personally voyage to one of
bB their branches can I buy from them then? Or do I still need to
bB figure out some way to buy through work? Never actually been to a
bB Grainger, so I don't know.

bB -- B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net

Larry Strollo Remove NOSPAM to mail me

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
william_b_noble

is LISTA a tool box or something else? their stuff seems well built and a
used Lista cabinet can be got for $100 to $500

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

carl mciver wrote:
They are so durable you can get well worn/abused ones on ebay for
a tiny
fraction of that, ...

I went looking on eBay, at the Completed auctions. There was one
Dutch auction with 3 11-drawer cabinets full of electronic components
with a starting bid of $400, looked to be in very good shape, but NO
bids !?! When I clicked Calculate Shipping, it came to $3000! Are you
****tin' me? Bob

No.
International shipping of anything larger than a letter is very
expensive. The quote I just received for shipping a 7500kg machine via
slow boat to Europe one-way is over $24,000, including crating.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
Anthony wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

carl mciver wrote:
They are so durable you can get well worn/abused ones on ebay for
a tiny
fraction of that, ...

I went looking on eBay, at the Completed auctions. There was one
Dutch auction with 3 11-drawer cabinets full of electronic components
with a starting bid of $400, looked to be in very good shape, but NO
bids !?! When I clicked Calculate Shipping, it came to $3000! Are you
****tin' me? Bob

No.
International shipping of anything larger than a letter is very
expensive. The quote I just received for shipping a 7500kg machine via
slow boat to Europe one-way is over $24,000, including crating.

This does not sound right. I would find a better shipper. For low
volume, prices are likely to vary widely.

How big (WxHxD) is the crated machine? Sea shipping basically goes by
volume, not weight, unless the density of the crate exceeds that of
water. Few things do, but a machine tool just might.

Nor does it cost $24K per big machine to get all that Asian Iron across
the Pacific. If it did, the US machine tool industry wouldn't be dying.

In 1974, I shipped a ~3,000-pound Volvo sedan to Europe for $321 from
Baltimore. A year later, I shipped it back on a ship that Volvo rents
for its deliveries to the US, and paid $50. $321 in 1974 is equivalent
to $1,300 today, according to the Inflation Calculator
(http://www.bls.gov).

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Anthony wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote ...

When I clicked Calculate Shipping, it came to $3000! Are you ****tin' me? Bob

International shipping ...

"International"? That $3000 was from California to Massachusetts!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news:JoeGwinn-
:

This does not sound right. I would find a better shipper. For low
volume, prices are likely to vary widely.

How big (WxHxD) is the crated machine? Sea shipping basically goes by
volume, not weight, unless the density of the crate exceeds that of
water. Few things do, but a machine tool just might.

Nor does it cost $24K per big machine to get all that Asian Iron across
the Pacific. If it did, the US machine tool industry wouldn't be

dying.

In 1974, I shipped a ~3,000-pound Volvo sedan to Europe for $321 from
Baltimore. A year later, I shipped it back on a ship that Volvo rents
for its deliveries to the US, and paid $50. $321 in 1974 is equivalent
to $1,300 today, according to the Inflation Calculator
(
http://www.bls.gov).

Joe Gwinn

hrm.. 1974 is a long time and a boat-load of regulations from now.
And in case you didn't notice, that's 7500KG (16,500lbs)
The breakdown: $10,000 for sea freight, one way. Approx $10,000 for the
crating, with the specially treated, certified wood, inner vacuum wrap,
etc that is required now to ship anything into Europe, $4,000 trucking
costs from here to the port (wide load). The crate is about 12'w x 10'h x
16'l.
This doesn't include the cost of someone handling the stacks of
paperwork.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

I don't know where in Europe the machine is going to but I would be
surprised if the sea freight for an 8x8x40 foot container would be
more than $4000. Will the machine fit inside an 8ft wide x 10 foot
high x 40 foot container?

If you ship stuff to the EU all the time, then I will shut up but if
this is the first time you have done this, I think you are getting
"took."

Anthony wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:24:40 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

No.
International shipping of anything larger than a letter is very
expensive. The quote I just received for shipping a 7500kg machine via
slow boat to Europe one-way is over $24,000, including crating.

That seems excessively expensive. Last year I bought 17
used tractors from Japan in a 40' container, shipping from Osaka to
Fremantle, via some Chinese port and Singapore, was $3700US (about
$220 each), moving the container by truck about 2 km to the
unloading/quarantine depot was about $200US and the
unloading/quarantine cleaning worked out to about $175US each. Plus
other charges totalling about $1000, total weight was about 19 tonnes.

A 20' container would probably be about $2800 freight to Europe and
carry 16 - 19 tonnes, crate $2000 ???, road transport to port $1000
($125 per tonne - expensive) and even allowing for European rip-off
charges of about $4000, it should not be more than $10,000
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:11:02 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

(jj) wrote in
:

I don't know where in Europe the machine is going to but I would be
surprised if the sea freight for an 8x8x40 foot container would be
more than $4000. Will the machine fit inside an 8ft wide x 10 foot
high x 40 foot container?

No, as I stated, the crate is 12'x10'x16'.

A different case altogether, container shipping is relatively
cheap.

That would be classed as a wide load in Oz for road transport and
require an escort service - normal load is 8' wide - and up goes
the cost. Sea freight also more expensive as it would need to be
securely packed in the hold. Huge crate, also very expensive, I can
now understand your $24k cost

What is the cost of the machine $200k + ? in which case
shipping is not too high a portion.
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Anthony wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote ...

When I clicked Calculate Shipping, it came to $3000! Are you ****tin' me?
Bob

International shipping ...

"International"? That $3000 was from California to Massachusetts!

That's cheap; it would take more than that to get me to drive to Mass.
OTOH, I might give a slight discount for driving AWAY from CA

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
machineman

That seems excessive for shipping! Last place I was at got a Sip 6A
shipped from Switzerland to eastern Canada for around $5k in 99. Machine
weighs in at around 12 tons.
Anthony wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

carl mciver wrote:

They are so durable you can get well worn/abused ones on ebay for
a tiny
fraction of that, ...

I went looking on eBay, at the Completed auctions. There was one
Dutch auction with 3 11-drawer cabinets full of electronic components
with a starting bid of $400, looked to be in very good shape, but NO
bids !?! When I clicked Calculate Shipping, it came to $3000! Are you
****tin' me? Bob

No.
International shipping of anything larger than a letter is very
expensive. The quote I just received for shipping a 7500kg machine via
slow boat to Europe one-way is over $24,000, including crating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article . net,
"carl mciver" wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
news | My little red craftsman tool chest finally got too overloaded. I'd
| long ago reinforced the bottom and replaced the casters, and I've been
| temporarily fixing the drawers when they'd fall out, but yesterday it
| had a total failure. Which was actually pretty funny to watch.

All my tool boxes were overloaded, so after some thought, I built my
own, using a completely different line of thinking.
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/toolrack1.JPG through 5 and .txt
I spent about $150. Holds gobs and gobs of tools, big and small.

I remember that project. I had thought about building my own tool
holder, but I can't think of a neat way to make it enclosed and compact.
Enclosed is vital because some of my coworkers are thieving assholes.
After my little box collapsed my tools got scattered, and I eventually
found a few of them on/in other guys' boxes. Compact is necessary, too,
since the shop is crowded as all hell. Besides, I need a box ASAP. For
now I'll be hauling around a pair of extremely heavy handheld boxes.
But I may eventually build something for home, since I'm accumulating
tools at home as well. I happen to have a regular source of retired
filing cabinets, so sturdy slides are plentiful.
One idea I had wouldn't use any slides--just plywood panels hinged at
one side (probably with a support caster on the outboard end) so I could
flip through my tools like a huge book. Seemed the easiest route since
all I would need would be some gate hinges, casters, and wood. Then a
mess of hooks or PVC pipes like you used. I suppose I could enclose
THAT by putting a raised lip around each "page" so when closed they all
seal up together. But then the lips might bump into the tools when I
have the pages swung out to the sides.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:57:36 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I thought so too....and the parents had taken the wheels off the
cabinets and screwed the toolboxes to the walls.

The "sharp" corners do still remain but actually no more so than much
of the cabinet hardware available.

TMT

Hmmm, kid running and smashing into the corner of a steel toolbox bolted
to the wall vs. kid running and smashing into the corner of a wooden
dresser sitting a few inches from the wall so it can tip and absorb some
of the impact.

Pete C.

My parents enforced a "no running in the house" rule, and,
while they were willing to patch me up if I broke it...they were
not particularly sympathetic. All actions have consequences,
and the earlier we learn this the sooner we will start making
better decisions in our lives.
Besides...most dressers are so heavy that they are NOT
going to give if run into by a "kid"...say...someone under the
weight of 100 lbs.
regards and hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving.
Dave Mundt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete B.

Steve Lusardiwrote:
BB,
Been there, done that. What few people know is that SNAP-ON tool

boxes are made in China. I do not have the name of the company off
hand, but I can get it.
Steve

Steve,

You've been misinformed. Snap-on boxes are made in Algona, Iowa and
in Newmarket, Ontario. The heavier-duty KRL style is the Algona and
the more entry-level, DIY style is made in Newmarket. The only KRA
box not made in Canada is the "Classics" which are also made in
Algona.

I think the only chinese stuff they carry in their box line are the
cheapie "Blue Point" carts. Maybe that's what you saw.

For my money, there's no better box than a Snap-on, if you're going to
load it down day in and day out and slide those drawers open ten times
a day, and they've got a lifetime warranty. They're built like
tanks. But not everybody needs a tank.

Pete.