Gunner

Default How do you store H Mill cutters?

One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton
Ken Vale

Gunner wrote:

One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Would it be possible to build something like a wine rack (or spice
rack), with a spot for each cutter, and mount it on the wall of your shop?
Ken

Steve Smith

Ken Vale wrote:

Gunner wrote:

One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Would it be possible to build something like a wine rack (or spice
rack), with a spot for each cutter, and mount it on the wall of your
shop?
Ken

I've seen this done. All the saws sorted, hung on pegs against the wall.
Looked pretty reasonable, but it does take wall space. Maybe behind the
mill?

Steve Smith

Alan Raisanen

I recommend outsourcing the storage function. Keep them off-site, so they
won't be in your way.

There is a lovely cabinet beneath my horizontal mill which would make a fine
storage depot.

Al

"Gunner" wrote in message
One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton

jim rozen

In article .net, Alan
Raisanen says...

I recommend outsourcing the storage function. Keep them off-site, so they
won't be in your way.

HA ha! Now *that's* topical.

I was gonna say, just throw them all in a big
tin bucket, that seems to be the way most of them
are stored, when I find them.

Jim

please reply to:

Peter T. Keillor III

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:04:47 -0500, Steve Smith
wrote:

Ken Vale wrote:

Gunner wrote:

snip
..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Would it be possible to build something like a wine rack (or spice
rack), with a spot for each cutter, and mount it on the wall of your
shop?
Ken

I've seen this done. All the saws sorted, hung on pegs against the wall.
Looked pretty reasonable, but it does take wall space. Maybe behind the
mill?

Steve Smith

You could also extend this idea by swinging plywood leaves on stout
hinges, with pegs on both sides, on maybe a 6" spacing. I've seen
this used on a larger scale for light stuff (model airplane parts).
Sort of flip through the leaves. If the leaves were say 1' wide X 2'
high, you should be able to fit up to a dozen cutters per side. Of
course, this works better for slotters than for some 3" wide 10 lb.
plain milling cutter.

Pete Keillor
JMartin957

One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Gunner

On pegs, with disks of cardboard or plastic in between. Pegs on wall, or
vertical on shelf.

John Martin
Jeffrey Lindemuth

"Gunner" wrote in message
One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters,

from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where

certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton

I have mostly 3 and 4 inch staggered tooth mill cutters. I make wooden
box that looks a lot like an old fashion cheeps box, and put in
dividers. I try and make sets by "1/16 th" when practical. When I want
to get fancy, I make the bottom of the box circular with a 3 or 4 inch
diameter.

Jeff Lindemuth

Artemia Salina

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:50:02 +0000, Gunner wrote:

150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters,

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

I haven't gotten around to setting up better storage for mine yet.
I've got approx. 500 cutters of various types and sizes currently
stored in milk crates(!!)

I'm keeping my eyes open for salvageable rotating racks like you'd
find in a book store or an auto parts store display. Stacked Lazy
Susans, so to speak. That seems to be the most efficient configuration
I can think of. Just place it into a corner of the shop as near to
the miller as possible. Actually something like that would be easy
enough to fabricate myself. Since you only need a narrow "window"
of access, work benches could be placed on either side of the rack,
as well. Even if it was in a corner.

Karl Townsend

My solution may not be the best, but at least it doesn't take up much
valuable space in my shop.

I have a melt pot of resin protector for cutters. Every one of my cutters
gets a dip after I purchase or resharpen them. To remove the cutter, I slice
the resin in a couple spots and remove it without ruining the resin shape.
When I'm done the cutter goes back in the resin protector.

With the cutters in protectors, they are just stacked in drawers by size and
function. I label the drawers as to what's in it. One cabinet holds tons of
cutters this way.

Karl

Ron Leap

I also obtained a large quantity of slab and form cutters and slitting
saws at an auction. To store them I built 6"Hx6W"x18L" (internal
dimensions) top opening plywood boxes. The cutters are stored
vertically not laying flat. To keep the cutters from banging into
each other I use 6"x6" squares of polyethylene sheet to separate them.
I cut the squares from the sides of kitty litter jugs. They are a
little thicker than milk jugs. The sheets are tough enough to prevent
metal to metal contact and thin enough that they take up very little
space. For protecting slitting saws and very thin cutters the tyvek
sleeves for 5-1/4" floppy disks work well. I had to find some use for
the hundreds of 5-1/4" disks that I threw away. I was originally
going to use the disks themselves for dividers but I found the
polyethylene sheets worked better. If you don't have a cat, you can
buy thin polyethylene sheet from a plastic supply house. It isn't
very expensive.

If you leave a little space in each box, you can flip through the
cutters much as you would a stack of record albums. Lids on the boxes
are optional but recommended. You can also make the boxes stackable.

It is my personal opinion that if you keep the cutters in a box rather
than hanging them, rust is much less of a problem.

Regards
Eastburn

I like the old jewelry store displays - press a button and trays rotate
and show you what you 'want'... They are out of mode now - so maybe
maybe...

Maybe a D size drawer case and a wood (ply?) inserts that have holes for
the cutters -
or foam for lay down mode...

A dozen rolling tool boxes fitted in foam - a drawer per shape per type
per metal... :-)

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Eastburn

Forget all of this Gunner -

Just ship them to me. Then your problem will be dealt with !

Martin :-)
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
jim rozen

In article , Eastburn says...

I like the old jewelry store displays - press a button and trays rotate
and show you what you 'want'... They are out of mode now - so maybe
maybe...

Ha ha. My wife (bless her soul) says that I should get a
giant-sized one of these, so all I have to do is press a
button down in the shop, and one of the machine tools
rises up on a carrosel to floor level. A push of the button
again and that one slips out of sight, to be replaced by
the next one on the line, etc.

"Just think how much room you could save, with all those
lathes..."

Jim

please reply to:

Lynn Amick

Just a quick note, from what I've learned in a past thread... cardboard can
cause some rust too. Not sure if it's the glue or some other factor, just
wanted to bring it to your attention.

--
Lynn "I have opposable thumbs, and I'm not scared to use em" Amick
http://www.amickracing.com

On pegs, with disks of cardboard or plastic in between. Pegs on wall, or
vertical on shelf.

John Martin

Robin S.

If you have a table saw, you could just cut slots in a board such that the
cutters would fit into the slots and have whatever's remaining be the
spacer. To create both sides of the box, just cut your slotted board down
its length. Kinda like one of them CD racks..

In fact, you can get those CD cases cheap/free at some CD stores (it won't
have the plastic insert that holds the CD). Just slip your smaller cutters
into those cases and the cases into some CD rack (Saturday morning garage
sale).

Regards,

Robin

"Gunner" wrote in message
One of the folks here was extremely kind to me, and Im now the proud
owner of about 150 pounds of various horizontal milling cutters, from
form cutters to slab mills. Ive got cutters till Doomsday and a bit
beyond G

Now this begs the question..whats the best way to store these in a
fashion that is easy to pick out a cutter and use, but protects them
from each other? Space limitations are the killer, as in any shop.

Anyone have any nifty ways to suggest?

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton

Gunner

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:08:04 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

If you have a table saw, you could just cut slots in a board such that the
cutters would fit into the slots and have whatever's remaining be the
spacer. To create both sides of the box, just cut your slotted board down
its length. Kinda like one of them CD racks..

In fact, you can get those CD cases cheap/free at some CD stores (it won't
have the plastic insert that holds the CD). Just slip your smaller cutters
into those cases and the cases into some CD rack (Saturday morning garage
sale).

Regards,

Robin

Not a bad idea, making up such a rack. Im afraid the plastic CD racks
probably wouldn't hold a hundred pounds of side cutting staggered
tooth cutters though..and the slab mills..they are a bit more
problematic. Think of a 10 lb razor sharp beer can G

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Eastburn

THat is a hoot.

Actually, Industry does use something like that - but vertical.
Schlumberger in Simi Valley has one - it held parts in bins shelf x
would have parts ....... and y have ..... a up/down control.

The bins were about the size of a 6 drawer desk. It stood almost 2
stories tall.

Some toy - but it put a lot of stuff in close quarters on the production
floor.
THe floor was a semiconductor PCB production area - so the parts were
more or less
light weight.

Martin