mewthree

Default 9ct gold

how much is this per troy oz

Harold and Susan Vordos

"mewthree" wrote in message
how much is this per troy oz

Spot price dictates, and it's not acceptable for jewelry in the US.
Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as Karat,
diamonds are weighed by carats.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jenni.chris

Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as

Karat,

Not quite true. The English language is never straightforward In the UK,
Australia and New Zealand "carat" is still used as a unit of measurement for
gold.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Gold content is 9/24 of the gross weight, depending on the alloy.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gold content is 9/24 of the gross weight, depending on the alloy.
Bugs

It is, in theory, always 9/24, regardless of the alloy. Where variations
come into play is in the honesty of the person doing the alloying, and laws
that regulate. Soldered items used to be permitted a half karat plus or
minus, plus an additional variation of plus or minus one half karat for
alloying. Thus, it wasn't unusual to find items marked ten karat that
assayed nine karat. I offer you class rings as an example, proven time and
again when refined in volume. They were consistently just better than nine
karat. The savings to the large corporations that make such rings must
have been staggering.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jenni.chris" wrote in message

Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as

Karat,

Not quite true. The English language is never straightforward In the

UK,
Australia and New Zealand "carat" is still used as a unit of measurement

for
gold.

Chris

Which I just had verified by a friend in the UK. I stand corrected. It
came as welcome news to me, so I thank you for enlightening me.

Harold

Making Gold Solder from Scraps Heather Coleman Metalworking 8 June 30th 17 01:18 PM
gold smelting Jon Elson Metalworking 10 August 12th 05 08:27 PM
china gold leaf arts !! Zhao Bioa Woodworking 0 January 14th 04 06:14 AM
Gold and Silver Roy's Junk Metalworking 24 December 26th 03 09:47 PM
Gold Coloured Shower question Reteplav UK diy 1 September 18th 03 01:05 AM