DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   9ct gold (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/129515-9ct-gold.html)

mewthree November 15th 05 05:52 PM

9ct gold

how much is this per troy oz

Harold and Susan Vordos November 15th 05 06:29 PM

9ct gold

"mewthree" wrote in message
how much is this per troy oz

Spot price dictates, and it's not acceptable for jewelry in the US.
Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as Karat,
diamonds are weighed by carats.

Harold

jenni.chris November 24th 05 09:24 AM

9ct gold

Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as

Karat,

Not quite true. The English language is never straightforward :) In the UK,
Australia and New Zealand "carat" is still used as a unit of measurement for
gold.

Chris

Bugs November 24th 05 02:00 PM

9ct gold

Gold content is 9/24 of the gross weight, depending on the alloy.
Bugs

Harold and Susan Vordos November 24th 05 07:56 PM

9ct gold

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gold content is 9/24 of the gross weight, depending on the alloy.
Bugs

It is, in theory, always 9/24, regardless of the alloy. Where variations
come into play is in the honesty of the person doing the alloying, and laws
that regulate. Soldered items used to be permitted a half karat plus or
minus, plus an additional variation of plus or minus one half karat for
alloying. Thus, it wasn't unusual to find items marked ten karat that
assayed nine karat. I offer you class rings as an example, proven time and
again when refined in volume. They were consistently just better than nine
karat. The savings to the large corporations that make such rings must
have been staggering.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos November 26th 05 09:30 AM

9ct gold

"jenni.chris" wrote in message

Incidentally, the c should be a K. Gold fineness is specified as

Karat,

Not quite true. The English language is never straightforward :) In the

UK,
Australia and New Zealand "carat" is still used as a unit of measurement

for
gold.

Chris

Which I just had verified by a friend in the UK. I stand corrected. It
came as welcome news to me, so I thank you for enlightening me.

Harold