R.H.

Default What is it? LXXXIII

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#507: immersion heater
#508: Wire stripper (to remove isolation)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Karl Townsend

#503 is a portable deer stand climbing step. Unfold, screw into tree trunk.
Put in the next one. Up you go. These fold up and fit in your pocket.

Karl

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Karl Townsend

#497 is an old blow torch.

Julie Waters

505 appears to be part of one of those old hand exercizer devices--
i.e., the grip enhancers.

506 is a wire crimper, isn't it? It looks like something I've seen
phone technicians use.

502 looks like part of a mop attachment, which means it's probably part
of a car engine

503 is one of Tom Delay's favorite toys. He's been looking all over for
it and without it, no one listens to him any longer.

504 is an ear grabber extender. It's for elderly women who want to grab
you by the ear but don't feel like getting up. It's got a button on the
other side which extends it by three feet.

506 is an early (rejected) prototype for the soup ladle.

502 is used to split the jacket on romex type electrical cable. Used to
be called a "cable ripper" not sure if that is still so.

503 is a screw in step for climbing into tree stands and such.

504 I know I've seen one of those in a catalog or someplace, but
drawing a blank!

505 is the spring from one of those hand grip excerciser things.

506 is a wire stripper. The cutter jaws are spring loaded and
self-adjusting for the size of wire.

507 is some sort of old wood workers scooper-outer tool. I imagine it
is for some specific task, but I don't know what!

mj

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

498 are those little things to hold windows in before the glaze is
smeared on.
Mike

mj

I forgot 505 and 506:

505 looks like a spring from a clothes pin.

506 appears to be a wire stripper.

Mike

Jonathan Wilson

505 is part of a safety pin.
sewiv

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

504. Shoelace tightener
507. Bowl gouge for wood-lathe?

Jim

#500 is a magnesium block with a flint bar attached. Used to make fire. Take
you pocket knife and scrape the magnesium into a small pile of shavings ,
then strike the flint with your blade to make sparks. The metal shavings
start burning white hot even when it's raining. Throw some tinder on top and
you have a fire. Good survival tool ( but I still prefer matches!).
Jim
"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

504. Shoelace tightener
507. Bowl gouge for wood-lathe?

John Husvar

In article .com,
"sewiv" wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

502. Romex stripper -- for slitting the cover on non-metallic electric
cable.

503. Removable "step" for climbing into a tree stand.

504. no idea. Possibly a manual tension scale to measure force needed to
move something?

505.

506. Wire stripper, used to strip multiple cunductor flat cables.

507. Made something similar for a reenactor. That one was for twisting
rope.
Mike Reed

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
505 is part of a safety pin.

Umm, it's got a 7/8" inside diameter. That's a big safety pin.

woodworker88

502. Cable jacket stripper, usually for romex
505. Spring part of a large safety pin
507. ?Scorp? for hollowing wooden shapes.

Julie Waters

Mike Reed wrote:
505 is part of a safety pin.

Umm, it's got a 7/8" inside diameter. That's a big safety pin.

We want to be REALLY safe.

--julie

sewiv

John Husvar wrote:

504. no idea. Possibly a manual tension scale to measure force needed to
move something?

Like a cable tension checker, or something?

Well, held vertically it would just be a scale, as in for weighing
things, like fish.

--
Sandy

John Husvar

In article . com,
"sewiv" wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

504. no idea. Possibly a manual tension scale to measure force needed to
move something?

Like a cable tension checker, or something?

Well, held vertically it would just be a scale, as in for weighing
things, like fish.

Yes, could be, but most of the fishing scales I've seen have a hook or
ring on both ends. It looks much like the device my wife uses in her
work to test the effort needed to open a door, for example.

She's an Independent Living Advocate, kind of an ADA enforcer. You know,
like: "Hey, Louie, get current with your ADA compliance or we'll teach
ya a little bit about disabilities. Know what I'm saying?" (OK, not
really quite that bad.

She works for an Independent Living Center, which helps businesses and
housing Property Managers figure out how to follow ADA Accessibility
Guidelines as easily and cheaply as possible and on finding housing for
folks who are in nursing homes, but who could live independently. (And
much more cheaply for the government agencies paying the nursing home
costs.)
mj

Mike Reed wrote:
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
505 is part of a safety pin.

Umm, it's got a 7/8" inside diameter. That's a big safety pin.

Guess that means it probably isn't a clothes pin either. LOL

Mike

Rich Grise

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:36:35 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

OK, haven't looked at everybody's anwer yet - what do you do, post
these things at like 12:01 AM? ;-)

502: cable jacket slitter, with wire gauge
503: Dunno, but it looks like it screws into something
504: Dunno, but it looks expensive
505: Safety Pin! :-)
506: Chinese Wire Stripper - I have about four of these things,
that I got on sale for about $2.00 apiece. The grips at
the end of the jaws hold the wire, and the two little blades
cut through the insulation and pull away from the grips,
pulling off the insulation (the graduated scale is presumably
millimeters, which is how much of the wire end you want stripped.)
The cheap ones suck - the $20.00 version does a surprisingly
good job!
507: No idea.

Thanks!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:33:41 -0800, Mike Reed wrote:

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
505 is part of a safety pin.

Umm, it's got a 7/8" inside diameter. That's a big safety pin.

I've seen them that big! They're used on Pintle Hooks. ;-P

Cheers!
RIch

Jeff Wisnia

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

505 is part of a safety pin.

Umm, it's got a 7/8" inside diameter. That's a big safety pin.

I've seen them that big! They're used on Pintle Hooks. ;-P

Cheers!
RIch

And King Kong's diapers too.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Brian Lawson

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:36:35 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hey Rob,

My guesses:

501 Flaying tool, to cut blubber from whales or other animals.

502 Romex ripper, for cutting outer sheath, and has wire gage holes

503 Portable wooden structure "step", to screw in a pole or tree to
climb

504 Tension gage, for wire or rope, or possibly even spokes

505 The spring for a clamp lamp or some other clamp-on device

506 Wire strippers, for finer gages, with adjustable strip length
setting

507 Not sure at all, but possibly along with other like tools is
used in flaying bones??

Keep up the good work! Where do you post the "correct answers", and
when?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
DanG

502. Romex stripper
503. Tree/pole step
504. twisting tool
505. hand exerciser
506. wire stripper

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

#507: immersion heater
#508: Wire stripper (to remove isolation)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

R.H.

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
[...]

Usually on Friday late afternoon or early evening I'll post the answers
here. Though if no one has correctly guessed a particular object, I won't
give the answer to it for a few more days but will provide a few hints or
additional photos.

The answer for number 501 can be found on the solution page for last week's
set, the link is at the bottom of the post.

Rob

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

From RCM

502. Cable insulation stripper
503. Wood screw starter, pocket version
504. No clue
505. The spring loop of a hand exerciser.
506. Phone jack crimper
507. Rope winder

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

502: Wire stripper/cutter.

503: Portable mining tool

504: Strain gauge

505: Safety pin

506: Another typewriter tool

507: Handle to a car jack
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Mr. Moose

#507: immersion heater
#508: Wire stripper (to remove isolation)

Nick

Hmm, I was sure that #507 is one of those hand exercizer things that I
had to squeeze to get stronger for playing piano.

Mark
Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

502- Romex stripper
503- Folding tree step
504- Fancy bottle opener? Or some type of handle for a flanged tray?
505- Hand exerciser Or a BIG Safety pin
506- Automatic wire stripper
507- Looks like a hand powered wood gouge.

Joseph Crabtree

504 Is an inductive spark plug wire tester. The brighter the neon lamp
glows the higher the voltage in the plug wire. Used for detecting no
spark, or an open spark plug wire.

R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"Joseph Crabtree" wrote in message
504 Is an inductive spark plug wire tester. The brighter the neon lamp
glows the higher the voltage in the plug wire. Used for detecting no
spark, or an open spark plug wire.

This answer is correct. Originally posted to only r.c.m., so the other two
groups didn't see this post.

Rob

R.H.

Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

502. Romex cable ripper and wire gauge

503. Tree step

504. Spark plug tester

505. Hand exerciser

506. Wire stripper

507. This one is for cutting wood, as has been mentioned, but is normally
used outdoors for just one purpose.

A few more photos have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan90.blogspot.com/

Concerning number 499 (the wood handled tool with the small spikes) from
last week's set, in the comments on my site someone stated that it was used
by dock workers to move large burlap bundles such as cotton bales. This
seems to be a likely use for it, but then today a link has been posted to a
Dutch site that has a drawing of the same tool, it can be seen he

http://www.mot.be/cgi-bin/ID-DOC.cgi...E???%3C-%3E???

I translated the text on a web site:

-----

hand hook for pockets (m.)
Light hand hook with a range short cogs on a blade of about 6 cm. With this
hook one moves it most of the zakgoed, except more refined sugar, fine
seeds, ground pounce, fine sulphur and similar goods

------

I not sure about the first part of the second sentence, if anyone knows the
definition of "zakgoed", please let me know. I'm guessing it means larger
objects, but that's not very specific.

Rob

R.H.

Dutch site that has a drawing of the same tool, it can be seen he

http://www.mot.be/cgi-bin/ID-DOC.cgi...E???%3C-%3E???

The link should work if you copy and paste it, including the question marks
at the end.

Rob

Barbara Bailey

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:38:10 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

[...]

Rob, "zakgoed" looks like a compound word, and when I broke it apart
and got the translations for "Zak" and "Goed" separately, I found
that Zak is pocket or bag and goed is good.

It sounds like Zakgoed is "bagged goods", which makes sense because
the items listed (refined sugar, fine seeds, ground pounce and fine
sulphur) are all items that would be most likely to be shipped in
heavy fabric sacks. And they're items where even small holes in the
sacks would allow loss of material, so you wouldn't want to use that
toothed paddle on the sacks.

Barb
Rich Grise

#507: immersion heater
#508: Wire stripper (to remove isolation)

Nick

Hmm, I was sure that #507 is one of those hand exercizer things that I
had to squeeze to get stronger for playing piano.

I think it could very likely be the hand exercizer thing (I initially
voted for "safety pin" until somebody pointed out the "7/8" dia." part. ;-)

Then I said, "A BIG safety pin! (I've seen them in the service, they're
used on pintle hooks.)"

But, yeah, my initial enthusiasm gives way, and not only that, but upon
revisiting the website, I see that it has 2 1/2 turns - a safety pin has
1 1/2.

I hang my head in shame.

;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:21:21 +0000, R.H. wrote:
"Brian Lawson" wrote in message

Keep up the good work! Where do you post the "correct answers", and
when?

Usually on Friday late afternoon or early evening I'll post the answers
here. Though if no one has correctly guessed a particular object, I won't
give the answer to it for a few more days but will provide a few hints or
additional photos.

The answer for number 501 can be found on the solution page for last week's
set, the link is at the bottom of the post.

Rob

Has anyone bothered to mention how much we appreciate your doing all of
the work it must take to keep that website up for our edification and
entertainment?

:-)

Thanks!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:38:10 +0000, R.H. wrote:
[ http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ and
http://pzphotosan89vn.blogspot.com/ ]
[...]

From context, it means to me, whether the commodity in the bag is
bulky enough to not fall through the holes in the bag that the tool
makes. I don't know what zakgoed is either, but I've crossposted this
to sci.electronics.design - there are some people there who could
theoretically translate some Dutch, although some things in Dutch
don't translate to English at all, like "zaadvragende ogen". ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

R.H.

I not sure about the first part of the second sentence, if anyone knows

the
definition of "zakgoed", please let me know. I'm guessing it means

larger
objects, but that's not very specific.

Rob

Rob, "zakgoed" looks like a compound word, and when I broke it apart
and got the translations for "Zak" and "Goed" separately, I found
that Zak is pocket or bag and goed is good.

It sounds like Zakgoed is "bagged goods", which makes sense because
the items listed (refined sugar, fine seeds, ground pounce and fine
sulphur) are all items that would be most likely to be shipped in
heavy fabric sacks. And they're items where even small holes in the
sacks would allow loss of material, so you wouldn't want to use that
toothed paddle on the sacks.

Great idea on the compound word translation, thanks for helping solve this
one.

Rob

R.H.

Has anyone bothered to mention how much we appreciate your doing all of
the work it must take to keep that website up for our edification and
entertainment?

Thanks, it's good to get some positive feedback once in a while. Also
thanks for posting the question to the electronics group.

-----

I haven't asked for submissions for a few months, so if anyone has a mystery
item or something unusual that you think others might be interested to see,
please send me some photos for possible use on the web site.

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

"zakgoed", please let me know.

I'm not speaking Dutch, but words are quite undestandable (for Krauts),
also if you know the context.
"zakgoed" means sacked goods (Sackgut in German). Goods that are packed
in sacks.

Nick

What is it? LXXXIII R.H. Metalworking 23 October 17th 05 09:17 AM
What is it? LXXXIII R.H. Woodworking 23 October 17th 05 09:17 AM