Rich Grise

Default What is it? LXXXIII

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:38:10 +0000, R.H. wrote:
[ http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ and
http://pzphotosan89vn.blogspot.com/ ]
Concerning number 499 (the wood handled tool with the small spikes) from
last week's set, in the comments on my site someone stated that it was
used by dock workers to move large burlap bundles such as cotton bales.
This seems to be a likely use for it, but then today a link has been
posted to a Dutch site that has a drawing of the same tool, it can be
seen he
http://www.mot.be/cgi-bin/ID-DOC.cgi...E???%3C-%3E???
I translated the text on a web site:
-----
hand hook for pockets (m.)
Light hand hook with a range short cogs on a blade of about 6 cm. With
this hook one moves it most of the zakgoed, except more refined sugar,
fine seeds, ground pounce, fine sulphur and similar goods ------
I not sure about the first part of the second sentence, if anyone knows
the definition of "zakgoed", please let me know. I'm guessing it means
larger objects, but that's not very specific.

From context, it means to me, whether the commodity in the bag is
bulky enough to not fall through the holes in the bag that the tool
makes. I don't know what zakgoed is either, but I've crossposted this
to sci.electronics.design - there are some people there who could
theoretically translate some Dutch, although some things in Dutch
don't translate to English at all, like "zaadvragende ogen". ;-)

Cheers!
Rich