Doug Goncz

Default Nice HF 2" three jaw chuck

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One at
any rate) and includes the thread to MT2 adapter. The teeth on the jaw are a
little thin. They'd be much better if the scroll and teeth were both tapered to
support engagement and provide stability. That's very hard to match fit.

Nice little chuck for $20 in the latest flyer. I bought two and am happy. Not
ecstatic, but very happy to find it fits my One. They sell a copy of the One
for as low as $99.

I think with an R8 to MT2 adapter this would go on the Super Shop for tiny
jobs.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
Doug Goncz

So, do you think it might make a useable tailstock chuck for a larger lathe?

Paul

I don't know, Paul. I've never executed a tailstock chuck operation. Can you
tell me more about those operations? I only know what I've done.

I have Advanced Machine Tool Operation and don't recall seeing it there. I have
no other printed resource.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
Doug Goncz

Is the back of the MT2 adapter drilled and tapped for a draw bar? If
so what thread is it? If not is the material soft enough to make this
easy?
Regards
Bob

1) I don't think so. But then, no tang either.
2) N/A
3) I think so. The adapters are in a different drawer from the chucks. I can
test file it and let you know.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@

Doug Goncz

04486-1HBC $19.99

3/4" MT-2 style tapered shank
Three reverse stepped jaws
Precision machined chuck and jaws
Durable steel construction

2 1/32" outside diameter; Chuck marking: 1, 2, 3; Comes with two chuck keys

Those are pin keys, there.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
Doug Goncz

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One
at
any rate)

Actually the male thread of the MT 2 adapter fits my Unimat chuck. I doubt that
the chuck centering boss designed in to the One is present. I'll look more
closely some day.

East Coast Hobbies, I think it is for the One, accessories, and parts. HF for
the cheaper One.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
Peter H.

Are you sayiing that there is a female 12 x 1 thread on the back of the chuck
that I saw at ...

Yes.

A perfect fit for the headstock, tailstock or milling attachment of the DB200
or SL1000 Unimat.

The "register" of the chuck is a perfect match for the above-mentioned Unis.

The actuators are very nice, too. Hardened steel with knurled handles.

The included #2 MT arbor is easily removable, and allows for Uni workholding
accessories to be used on larger machines.

A pretty good deal for under thirty bucks.

Too bad it isn't a 3" chuck.

Bruce C.

I still haven't seen a quality report for the HF chuck. Anyone want to
volunteer?
How rough are the internals (does it operate smoothly)?
Is workholding consistent (how bad is TIR at various diameters)?
Is there enough "meat" on the chuck body for me to put 3/4 16 threads in
there?

Inquiring minds want to know
Thanks

"Peter H." wrote in message

Are you sayiing that there is a female 12 x 1 thread on the back of the

chuck
that I saw at ...

Yes.

A perfect fit for the headstock, tailstock or milling attachment of the

DB200
or SL1000 Unimat.

The "register" of the chuck is a perfect match for the above-mentioned

Unis.

The actuators are very nice, too. Hardened steel with knurled handles.

The included #2 MT arbor is easily removable, and allows for Uni

workholding
accessories to be used on larger machines.

A pretty good deal for under thirty bucks.

Too bad it isn't a 3" chuck.

Michael Gray

Default How do Cdns buy from HF? was "Nice HF 2" three jaw chuck"

Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?
Do you have friends in the US who accept then send on by USPS?
An enquiring mind would love to know, as I'm looking at this chuck.
Mike in northcentral BC

On 16 Nov 2003 19:33:16 -0800, (brownnsharp) wrote:
( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message ...
The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One

Dirty Harry

Michael Gray asked:

Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?

I live close to the border, and have these folks
http://www.pointrobertsusa.com/tsbshipping/
receive it for me, and then I
pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.

Harry

John Ings

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:58:27 GMT, "Dirty Harry"
wrote:

Michael Gray asked:

Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?

I live close to the border, and have these folks
http://www.pointrobertsusa.com/tsbshipping/
receive it for me, and then I
pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

Ken Davey

"John Ings" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:58:27 GMT, "Dirty Harry"
wrote:

Michael Gray asked:

Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?

I live close to the border, and have these folks
http://www.pointrobertsusa.com/tsbshipping/
receive it for me, and then I
pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

When I see 'shipping by UPS and there is no alternate method offered I lose
interest real quick. UPS brokerage charges are ridiculous!
Ken (normally in Northern BC but currently enjoying an endless summer in
Honduras)

John Ings

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:57:24 GMT, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?

I live close to the border, and have these folks
http://www.pointrobertsusa.com/tsbshipping/
receive it for me, and then I
pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

When I see 'shipping by UPS and there is no alternate method offered I lose
interest real quick. UPS brokerage charges are ridiculous!
Ken (normally in Northern BC but currently enjoying an endless summer in
Honduras)

It's really infuriating if the item is a CD containing a free upgrade
to a piece of application software and the only shipping option to
Canada is "UPS International". A CD can be mailed in the US for very
little, but that UPS International charge can cost you more than the
cost of the original software the upgrade is for!

Fortunately I have now moved to within a 15 minute drive of a US
postal station. Now if it only took less than half an hour to get
through the border crossing...

surftom

Sigh..... The $65US Tube notcher I got From HF cost me CDN$105 over
and above the cost of the item for "Delivery and Brokerage Charges"
I have asked them to ship USPS but no luck so far.
When I buy from eBay I will specify USPS only and it cost me very
little and have, to date, not had a problem.
FedEx is also way better.

I'm in Toronto FWIW

Best of Luck

Tom

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One

Grant Erwin

UPS SUCKS!!

I try to never ever use them anymore.

I haven't seen a UPS charge beat FedEx in over a year. Not one.

Grant Erwin

( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message ...

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One

beeperboy

Michael Gray wrote:
Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?
Do you have friends in the US who accept then send on by USPS?
An enquiring mind would love to know, as I'm looking at this chuck.
Mike in northcentral BC

I have a friend in California that sent me a couple. I had HF drop ship
them to him, then he repackaged them and shipped to me. If I'd have
know there was any more interest in them, I'd have "imported" a dozen or
so. I got mine a week ago, so I just missed this thread about other
Canuckle Heads looking for mini-chucks.

They seem like good value for what they cost.

Allan in Calgary

Ted Edwards

John Ings wrote:

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

Where? I'm in OK Falls.

Ted

John Ings

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:04:17 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

Where? I'm in OK Falls.

Betta's Services
1306 Main Street
Oroville WA 98844
509-476-2888

Ted Edwards

John Ings wrote:

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use
a receiving service in Oroville WA

Where? I'm in OK Falls.

Betta's Services

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I knew about Betta's, used them several
times. I was wondering where you are. Gotta post this since I don't
have an e-mail address for you.

Ted

FixerDave

(brownnsharp) wrote:
( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded

M12x1 (fits my Unimat One

I gave up and stick with Canadian suppliers whenever
possible.
In order of my liking:
www.busybeetools.com
www.KMStools.com
www.houseoftools.com
www.princessauto.com
even www.leevalleytools.com once in a while (good books
anyway)

Either that, or I beg the US store to ship USPS. At least
Canada Post only charges $5... + tax. It's amazing what a
pitiful email can accomplish with smaller companies The
only other option is to buy sooo much that the brokerage
fees are insignificant. If you do that - CLEARLY state: NO
Backorders! You don't want to get burned by fees twice.

But yeah, it really sucks when you want one small part that
looks really great, that only costs $15, and you can't get
anywhere else... I stopped looking at the HF website a
while back... it's just too depressing.

Maybe what we really need is a reverse E-Bay auction: "How
much will you charge me to drive to HF, buy the damn thing,
and ship it to me USPS?" Hmmm, you know, I bet that
would work... Some enterprising person living next door to
HF (and maybe close to a postal station might be able to
set up a tidy little low-volume business. Receive an email,
post an E-bay sale-type auction (to get all that Paypal
protection stuff), and wait for the person to do the bid
before going to the store and getting the product. For what
HF would charge for sending by UPS, I expect someone could
make a profit sending it by USPS, at least for the small
stuff...

David...

Grant Erwin

Nice list of vendors. I've used Princess Auto and Lee Valley a few times,
but hadn't known about the others.

Biggest hole in your methodology is the HF stores don't have nearly the
inventory as shown online or in the catalogs. Not even. On the other hand,
prices in the stores are often LOWER because they don't have to provide
"free shipping". Example is their Russian 110 pound cast steel anvil
which is advertised for a sale price of $99US but which you can often
get in their stores for $69US.

Another solution is to make friends in the US and trade favors!

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
2 hours south of BC

FixerDave wrote:

[...]

Tim Shoppa

Michael Gray wrote in message . ..
Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous
charges for Customs brokerage to UPS?

It's a different answer than what you're asking for, but when I was in
Canada I found that Busy Bee Tools sold just about everything that HF had.
It was almost a "Harbor Freight North".

Some differences in policies and other details but the products
(and the product defects!) were nearly identical.

Tim.
James P Crombie

Dave
KBC tools and Travers Tools both have operations here in Canada and
will ship within Canada, so you don't have to bother with customs or
brokerage fees.
http://www.kbctools.com/canada/home.cfm
https://www.travers.com/

(brownnsharp) wrote:

( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message

[...]

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer
Canada 3D Designer

E-mail
Astronomy webpage
http://www.jamescrombie.com
Rhinoceros 3D webpage http://www.jamescrombie.com/rhino/
Mirror Grinder page http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/

Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:36:29 -0400, the renowned James P Crombie
wrote:

I have heard that the owner of BusyBee are related to the people that
run Grizzly tools,

Owner of Grizzly: Shiraz Balolia
Owner of Busy Bee: Nargis Balolia

I believe they are ethnic Indians who emigrated from Africa (Kenya).
The situation of ethnic Indians in Africa is roughly comparable to
that of Jews in early 20th century Europe or Chinese in SE Asia in the
last half century.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
FixerDave

"James P Crombie" wrote in
message ...
Dave
KBC tools and Travers Tools both have operations here

in Canada and
will ship within Canada, so you don't have to bother with

customs or
brokerage fees.
http://www.kbctools.com/canada/home.cfm
https://www.travers.com/

much snipped

Wow, thanks... both look really good: there goes my next
paycheque

You know, I spent hours one night searching the web for
Canadian tool suppliers. I came up with Princess Auto...
(I already knew about BusyBee and KMS) Neither of the above
two came up... and they're what I was looking for.

Tomorrow, I'm booked into an advanced Internet search course
put on by the librarians at the college where I work. I
guess I need it.

David...

Gunner

wrote:

I have heard that the owner of BusyBee are related to the people that
run Grizzly tools,

Owner of Grizzly: Shiraz Balolia
Owner of Busy Bee: Nargis Balolia

I believe they are ethnic Indians who emigrated from Africa (Kenya).
The situation of ethnic Indians in Africa is roughly comparable to
that of Jews in early 20th century Europe or Chinese in SE Asia in the
last half century.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

An aquaintance of mine is an ethnic Indian, born and raised in Uganda,
until Big DaDa went nutzoid. The family emmigrated to the US in
1972..suddenly and in the dark of night, leaving everything except
what they could put in suitcases, behind.

An interview with another Indian whom escaped Uganda
http://www.teenink.com/Past/1998/9979.html
Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton