mongke

Default uses for cheap threading die set

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

Tim Killian

mongke wrote:
Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

If you like to fish, they'd make good sinkers. No lead and 100%
biodegradable.
Rick

"mongke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses

for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

Some unique Christmas tree ornaments...

Gary Hallenbeck

On 30 Oct 2005 19:37:37 -0800, "mongke" wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

They make mediocre fishing weights, or the hole in the die makes it
convienient for holding down helium balloons.

Gary "who fell in the same pit once" Hallenbeck
Jim Stewart

mongke wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Send them FedEx to Iggy.

Grant Erwin

mongke wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Punk jewelry? They certainly have no use in making or restoring threads. I have
written it many times, but I'm compelled to once again say that some tools you
can skimp on, but taps and dies you should get the best ones money can buy. I
like Greenfield, aka GTD. I also like OSG and Nachi. Good taps and dies aren't
cheap and cheap ones don't work and make you miserable along the way. Buy good
ones as you need them, take care of them, store them properly and clean them
after use, and they will work for you for a long time.

GWE
Leo Lichtman

Lend them out to people who don't know better and to ask to borrow your
tools.

Jerry Foster

"mongke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

Even though they aren't exactly the highest quality, they do work pretty
good for cleaning up bunged up threads. I've also used them when I cut the
thread about 80% on the lathe and cleaned them up with a cheap die. And the
taps work pretty good in aluminum, but I wouldn't suggest having much faith
in them for steel (unless you really like trying to get out broken taps...).

Jerry

JWho

"mongke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

I got tricked, too. In case anyone didn't know, the dies don't have a taper
to get started. I bought it to just clean bolt threads and hole threads
anyway, so I think I got what I paid for.

Jordan

Those things were called "die nuts", used for repairing threads only.
Weird that they're sold as thread-making dies?

Jordan

mongke wrote:
Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads.

Jon Danniken

"Grant Erwin" wrote:
mongke wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Punk jewelry?

Intersting concept - maybe sell them the idea of *tapped* piercings, to
enable quick changing of jewelry.

Jon

Donnie Barnes

On Mon, 31 Oct, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Lend them out to people who don't know better and to ask to borrow your
tools.

Heck, I sometimes buy that kind of stuff FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE. I leave it
laying out on the bench in plain view, too. I've had my *good* friends who
know better say "what did you buy this ****** for???" Then I go show them
the good set tucked away neatly in a cabinet. They are generally puzzled
for a second, and then they go "aaah, I see."

Problem with taps and dies is nobody believes you if you have a nice shop
and try to say you don't have any. But everyone will need one at some
point and most are too cheap to buy the good stuff. So they are one of the
things most likely to be attempted to be borrowed. They also *seem* so
"simple" to use, yet really do take some technique. So if someone I don't
care to help wants to borrow them and I can't justify turning them away
(like relatives , I give them the crap. If someone I *do* care to help
needs to borrow them, I offer to do the job for them and use the good
stuff. That way they get what they needed and I get my tools back
unbroken. For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

--Donnie

Shawn

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Those things were called "die nuts", used for repairing threads only.
Weird that they're sold as thread-making dies?

Jordan

Isn't it the case that if the die is round, it is for thread cutting and if
it is hex, it is for chasing?

Dave Lyon

, but I wouldn't suggest having much faith
in them for steel (unless you really like trying to get out broken

taps...).

Jerry

At least they are soft. That makes it much easier to drill them out.

yourname

Dave Lyon wrote:
, but I wouldn't suggest having much faith
in them for steel (unless you really like trying to get out broken

taps...).

Jerry

At least they are soft. That makes it much easier to drill them out.

Is it heavy enough to hold the door open? If not it might be strong
enough to hold up one end of the coolant tank so the pump don't run out

Rex B

Donnie Barnes wrote:
For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

And hopefully they will replace the tap they broke with a better one
from the local hardware store.
Donnie Barnes

On Mon, 31 Oct, Rex B wrote:
Donnie Barnes wrote:
For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

And hopefully they will replace the tap they broke with a better one
from the local hardware store.

Replace broken loaner tools??? And with BETTER stuff??? What planet you
livin' on? I want to move there!

--Donnie

Rex B

Donnie Barnes wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct, Rex B wrote:

Donnie Barnes wrote:

For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

And hopefully they will replace the tap they broke with a better one
from the local hardware store.

Replace broken loaner tools??? And with BETTER stuff??? What planet you
livin' on? I want to move there!

Texas. And we're trying hard to close the borders
BillP

Rex B wrote:
Donnie Barnes wrote:

For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

And hopefully they will replace the tap they broke with a better one
from the local hardware store.

Yup!! Now ya got a box to put the GOOD ones in... G?
Bill
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:44:24 GMT, yourname wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:
, but I wouldn't suggest having much faith
in them for steel (unless you really like trying to get out broken

taps...).

Jerry

At least they are soft. That makes it much easier to drill them out.

Is it heavy enough to hold the door open? If not it might be strong
enough to hold up one end of the coolant tank so the pump don't run out

Ive recently seen white kids with enlarged earlobes, ala Ubangi..with
"stuff" in the earlobe. Perhaps you can talk the neighbor kid into a
nice pair of matching 8-32 dies as ear orniments?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Roger Shoaf

"Shawn" vashawn75AThotmailDOTcomNOSPAM wrote in message

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Those things were called "die nuts", used for repairing threads only.
Weird that they're sold as thread-making dies?

Jordan

Isn't it the case that if the die is round, it is for thread cutting and

if
it is hex, it is for chasing?

No this is not true in all cases. As an example Snap On and Craftsman sell
a good qulaity die with a hex shape.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Brian Lawson

Hey Mo,

Me old eyes ain't what they used to be...so....I've got a set like
those (in fact two in inch, and one in metric) with the taps stuck
shank in, and the dies glued over a suitable hole each, on a small
"test" board that I use merely to "size" the odds and sods that turn
up off the floor or at a garage sale or what have you. If the
screw/bolt, or the nut, won't fit, then it is of little value to me
anyway. Just goes in the scrap metals bin. Works better than those
"screw thread" plastic doohickeys.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 30 Oct 2005 19:37:37 -0800, "mongke" wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Regards,

MOngke

And the winner for the best idea is Brian!!

Dan

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Mo,

Me old eyes ain't what they used to be...so....I've got a set like
those (in fact two in inch, and one in metric) with the taps stuck
shank in, and the dies glued over a suitable hole each, on a small
"test" board that I use merely to "size" the odds and sods that turn
up off the floor or at a garage sale or what have you. If the
screw/bolt, or the nut, won't fit, then it is of little value to me
anyway. Just goes in the scrap metals bin. Works better than those
"screw thread" plastic doohickeys.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

South Bend Lathe threading questions gtslabs Metalworking 4 July 17th 05 04:39 PM
Threading on a "slow to stop" lathe Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 16 May 25th 05 06:05 AM
Threading Jigs? Scott Woodturning 17 March 1st 05 06:21 AM
A different single-point threading question.... Ken Sterling Metalworking 40 June 3rd 04 03:23 AM
Threading: 29º or another way... Robin S. Metalworking 5 November 22nd 03 06:55 PM