Grant Erwin

Default uses for cheap threading die set

mongke wrote:

Hi all

So I was tempted by the devil and bought one of these cheapie 40 pcs
tap and
die sets (the ones in the blue case). Those hex dies are useless of
course,at least for starting threads. Care to suggest creative uses for
the stuff, so the loss wont be total?

Punk jewelry? They certainly have no use in making or restoring threads. I have
written it many times, but I'm compelled to once again say that some tools you
can skimp on, but taps and dies you should get the best ones money can buy. I
like Greenfield, aka GTD. I also like OSG and Nachi. Good taps and dies aren't
cheap and cheap ones don't work and make you miserable along the way. Buy good
ones as you need them, take care of them, store them properly and clean them
after use, and they will work for you for a long time.

GWE