Donnie Barnes

Default uses for cheap threading die set

On Mon, 31 Oct, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Lend them out to people who don't know better and to ask to borrow your
tools.

Heck, I sometimes buy that kind of stuff FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE. I leave it
laying out on the bench in plain view, too. I've had my *good* friends who
know better say "what did you buy this ****** for???" Then I go show them
the good set tucked away neatly in a cabinet. They are generally puzzled
for a second, and then they go "aaah, I see."

Problem with taps and dies is nobody believes you if you have a nice shop
and try to say you don't have any. But everyone will need one at some
point and most are too cheap to buy the good stuff. So they are one of the
things most likely to be attempted to be borrowed. They also *seem* so
"simple" to use, yet really do take some technique. So if someone I don't
care to help wants to borrow them and I can't justify turning them away
(like relatives , I give them the crap. If someone I *do* care to help
needs to borrow them, I offer to do the job for them and use the good
stuff. That way they get what they needed and I get my tools back
unbroken. For those I didn't care to help in the first place but had to,
well, they're on their own...and they get to learn how to remove broken
taps on their own, too. ;-)

--Donnie