Chip Chester

Default Legal question

I've scanned this thread, and couldn't find exactly if there's an airbill,
or just an address label.
An airbill, even with no return address, can be traced to the account/credit
card of the shipper.
(I don't think they take cash.) Also, look for any airbill stickers on what
was left of the packaging --
2" x 1/4" white stickers with potentially valid airbill numbers on 'em.
Even if they're old, from recycled
packaging, it's a clue to FedEx.

If you get a good FedEx guy in "overgoods" (their lost shipment department
in Memphis) they might
be able to do a search of shipments by weight. That narrows the field
considerably.

This is, of course, if you actually want to find the owner. Which it seems
like you do.

If it's a valid shipment to and from someone, they're going to end up paying
someone for the thing
at some time. That could help things along in your dealings with FedEx.

There's also a department called "Executive Services" (or at least there
was) that can do good things
by using the power of Mr. Smith's office. Had to use it once.

"Chip" in Columbus

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message
news
Suppose that you receive a parcel that you never expected. For example
a crotch rocket motorcycle engine. There is no return address. All
reasonable efforts to find the owner fail. No one contacts me in, say,
2 weeks.

Does this item become my property?

Would it be legal to throw it away in garbage?

Would it be legal to sell it on ebay?

Is there a registry of stolen motorcycle engines?

What if I sell it and a month later, an owner materializes. Do I owe
anything to the owner.

I am very leery of the idea of selling this motor on ebay. It looks
like plenty of stolen motorcycle stuff is sold there and I, with the
lame story of fedex leaving it in my driveway, would look like a
thief. If I do not mention that story at all, then people would ask
all kinds of pointed questions like "how did you end up with this
engine if you do not know anything about it".

Ecnerwal

In article ,
Ignoramus3242 wrote:

Here's the rub: the invoice is for stuff shipped to ME in
March. Swivel air hoses, air angle grinder etc.

Some more puzzling facts:

- I received that shipment very long time ago
- It was shipped from HF via UPS
- The Suzuki motor arrived via Fedex

WTF

You might want to visit the various credit bureaus, and check to see if
you're being identity-thefted.

Chip Chester

"(snip)
I also recall that there was a harbor freight catalog tangled in
plastic shrinkwrap, maybe there is an address printed on it. I threw
it in my garbage, but the garbage is still in my yard.

I came home and checked it.

It was a envelope of harbor freight coupons and a copy of an invoice,
not a catalog.

Here's the rub: the invoice is for stuff shipped to ME in
March. Swivel air hoses, air angle grinder etc.

Some more puzzling facts:

- I received that shipment very long time ago
- It was shipped from HF via UPS
- The Suzuki motor arrived via Fedex

WTF

Ig, it's obvious.
The HF invoice was stuck to the bottom of the 5 hp three-phase motor
that went to the battery-powered motorcycle guy. (You dropped it when
you used the angle grinder to cut off the shaft of the RPC motor).
This 4-cyl Suzuki engine is the one he removed to make room for the
5 hp motor and batteries. You are to hook the Suzuki up to the pallet jack
so you can clear out the garage more efficiently. The shipper chose FedEx
because he absolutely, positively had to get it out of his garage overnite.
(After that, he didn't care about ever seeing it again; hence no return
address.)
After garage clean-out (yours) you are to mount the Suzuki to the Quincy
air compressor (Quizuki? Suzincy?) for more efficient rust removal of future
acquisitions.

There will be future acquisitions, won't there?

"Chip" in Columbus

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:47:13 GMT, Ignoramus3242
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:04:28 GMT, Ignoramus3242 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:56:55 GMT, Chip Chester wrote:
I've scanned this thread, and couldn't find exactly if there's an airbill,
or just an address label.

Just an fedex HANDWRITTEN address label. No return address.

An airbill, even with no return address, can be traced to the
account/credit card of the shipper. (I don't think they take cash.)
Also, look for any airbill stickers on what was left of the
packaging -- 2" x 1/4" white stickers with potentially valid airbill
numbers on 'em. Even if they're old, from recycled packaging, it's
a clue to FedEx.

nothing.

I also recall that there was a harbor freight catalog tangled in
plastic shrinkwrap, maybe there is an address printed on it. I threw
it in my garbage, but the garbage is still in my yard.

I came home and checked it.

It was a envelope of harbor freight coupons and a copy of an invoice,
not a catalog.

Here's the rub: the invoice is for stuff shipped to ME in
March. Swivel air hoses, air angle grinder etc.

Some more puzzling facts:

- I received that shipment very long time ago
- It was shipped from HF via UPS
- The Suzuki motor arrived via Fedex

Barring the scenario given by another poster I see a few
possibilities here. But the one that pops to mind as most likely is.
You accidentally used the invoice as packing material on something you
shipped sometime. Thus one of your previous customers had it and it
ended up stuck to the engine.

I also imagine that it's the reason that Fedex put you address on
the engine when the original address got lost.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Marc

ROFLMAO too !! top posted for the lazy ones like me
Aye
Mark

Ignoramus3242 wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:30:50 GMT, Chip Chester wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO

GET QUICK MONEY EASY AND LEGAL HERE!!! [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 3rd 05 03:59 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM