Tom Gardner

Default DRILL DOCTOR Grinds Tungsten Electrodes

"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
I posted a message last night about how tungsten electrodes were hard
on regular grinding wheels. I was looking at various expensive tools,
diamond bits that did not quite fit anything that I had, etc.

Finally I realized that I already have a diamond grinding tool, a
drill doctor (model 750, IIRC). It has a little diamond grinding wheel
that is normall yused for sharpening drill bits.

I tried sharpening a tungsten electrode in it and it was completely
easy, painless, did not require me to press it hard against the wheel,
and took me very little time.

It's nice to know that I do not need to buy anything new.

Finally, somebody found a legitimate use for a "Drill Doctor"

Steve Lusardi

I bought one. Used it once and it is back in the box. It's junk. It is very
difficult to control the bite angle and it cuts flats. Additionally the
diamond wheel wears very quickly. You can do a much better job by eye on a
properly dressed wheel. There is no comparison to a Black Diamond which I
bought a month later. I bought a 3B added a little TLC and it performs like
new. It is 60 years old. It is the old adage, you get what you pay for.
Steve

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:39:46 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
I posted a message last night about how tungsten electrodes were hard
on regular grinding wheels. I was looking at various expensive tools,
diamond bits that did not quite fit anything that I had, etc.

Finally I realized that I already have a diamond grinding tool, a
drill doctor (model 750, IIRC). It has a little diamond grinding wheel
that is normall yused for sharpening drill bits.

I tried sharpening a tungsten electrode in it and it was completely
easy, painless, did not require me to press it hard against the wheel,
and took me very little time.

It's nice to know that I do not need to buy anything new.

Finally, somebody found a legitimate use for a "Drill Doctor"

Haha... Actually, it does a pretty decent job at sharpening drill bits
too!

Tom Gardner

" Haha... Actually, it does a pretty decent job at sharpening drill bits
too!

You have a low "Does a pretty decent job" threshold. IMHO, they are crap!
Send me whatever you spent for the DD and I'll sharpen your drills for life!

The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

Tom, I am not a drilling whiz. What I do know is that drill bits that
I sharpen with DD, work pretty well for me after re-sharpening. That
includes some 1/2" drill bits that I thought were fully ruined.

I'll have to second that... I have one of the older model 500 sharpeners,
and it works remarkably well for what it is. I did find that it takes
some getting used to the wrist motion required to get a nice finish on
the bit, and it helps if you clean up the bit a tad with a stone after you
grind it, but I have always found it more accurate than freehanding a drill
bit. I'm not ham fisted with grinder work by any means (as an example, I
can hand grind my tungstens well enough that my TIG instructor thought I
was using an electrode grinder), but the Drill Doctor is just more reliable
at getting the angles correct.

I don't doubt there are people who can do a better job by hand than what
is done by a Drill Doctor, but I'm certainly not one of them. And I've never
had a bit sharpened with the thing fail to put a clean, proper hole through
the workpiece, which I'd think is about all could ask for a device of that
sort in its price range.
Gunner

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:55:12 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man
wrote:

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

[...]

The M500 is NOT the same as the Drill Doctor

Gunner, who owns and uses an M500

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Mike Henry

wrote:

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

[...]

Are you sure that yours isn't an M5? There was a Drill Doctor 500, which is
what Iggy may be referring to, but I don't think I've ever seen an M500.

Mike

Gunner

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:09:48 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

[...]

You are quite right. However..mine is clearly marked M500, which I
suspect was a later model with the borazon wheels. It looks identical
to the M5.

Or Ive brain farted completly. G...sigh

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Chuck Sherwood

I bought one. Used it once and it is back in the box. It's junk.

I have an older DD. 750 I think. It really isn't that bad.
I think it can do a better job than many people can do by hand.
This product is one that people either love or hate without
too much in between.

I also have a old blackdiamond sharpener. It is a wonderful unit.

I also have a darex M5 that I don't like very well. It has a good
reputation but I find it difficult to use and I can't get good results
like I get with the Black diamond.

william_b_noble

there is a new DD 750X - I was debating getting one of those - anyone
checked them out in detail?
and for those who have a 750 and hate it - maybe that would meet my needs -
perhaps we can make a deal? (off the list - mail me - correct this
address --- william_ b_n oble at msn daught com)

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
I bought one. Used it once and it is back in the box. It's junk.

I have an older DD. 750 I think. It really isn't that bad.
I think it can do a better job than many people can do by hand.
This product is one that people either love or hate without
too much in between.

I also have a old blackdiamond sharpener. It is a wonderful unit.

I also have a darex M5 that I don't like very well. It has a good
reputation but I find it difficult to use and I can't get good results
like I get with the Black diamond.

Abrasha

Tom Gardner wrote:

Finally, somebody found a legitimate use for a "Drill Doctor"

I like the Drill Doctor. It does a very good job for me. Unfortunately
it does not sharpen anything smaller then a 3/32 drill. And most of the
drills I use are between #60 and #66. So those I still sharpen by hand,
since they are mostly poorly sharpened right out of the box.

I find sharpening a 1/2" drill by hand a rather tricky proposition to
get it right. The DD does it in seconds.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com