Steve Lusardi

Default DRILL DOCTOR Grinds Tungsten Electrodes

I bought one. Used it once and it is back in the box. It's junk. It is very
difficult to control the bite angle and it cuts flats. Additionally the
diamond wheel wears very quickly. You can do a much better job by eye on a
properly dressed wheel. There is no comparison to a Black Diamond which I
bought a month later. I bought a 3B added a little TLC and it performs like
new. It is 60 years old. It is the old adage, you get what you pay for.
Steve

"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:39:46 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
I posted a message last night about how tungsten electrodes were hard
on regular grinding wheels. I was looking at various expensive tools,
diamond bits that did not quite fit anything that I had, etc.

Finally I realized that I already have a diamond grinding tool, a
drill doctor (model 750, IIRC). It has a little diamond grinding wheel
that is normall yused for sharpening drill bits.

I tried sharpening a tungsten electrode in it and it was completely
easy, painless, did not require me to press it hard against the wheel,
and took me very little time.

It's nice to know that I do not need to buy anything new.

Finally, somebody found a legitimate use for a "Drill Doctor"

Haha... Actually, it does a pretty decent job at sharpening drill bits
too!