The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Default DRILL DOCTOR Grinds Tungsten Electrodes

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

Tom, I am not a drilling whiz. What I do know is that drill bits that
I sharpen with DD, work pretty well for me after re-sharpening. That
includes some 1/2" drill bits that I thought were fully ruined.

I'll have to second that... I have one of the older model 500 sharpeners,
and it works remarkably well for what it is. I did find that it takes
some getting used to the wrist motion required to get a nice finish on
the bit, and it helps if you clean up the bit a tad with a stone after you
grind it, but I have always found it more accurate than freehanding a drill
bit. I'm not ham fisted with grinder work by any means (as an example, I
can hand grind my tungstens well enough that my TIG instructor thought I
was using an electrode grinder), but the Drill Doctor is just more reliable
at getting the angles correct.

I don't doubt there are people who can do a better job by hand than what
is done by a Drill Doctor, but I'm certainly not one of them. And I've never
had a bit sharpened with the thing fail to put a clean, proper hole through
the workpiece, which I'd think is about all could ask for a device of that
sort in its price range.