Gunner

Default DRILL DOCTOR Grinds Tungsten Electrodes

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:09:48 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:55:12 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man
wrote:

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

Tom, I am not a drilling whiz. What I do know is that drill bits that
I sharpen with DD, work pretty well for me after re-sharpening. That
includes some 1/2" drill bits that I thought were fully ruined.

I'll have to second that... I have one of the older model 500 sharpeners,
and it works remarkably well for what it is. I did find that it takes
some getting used to the wrist motion required to get a nice finish on
the bit, and it helps if you clean up the bit a tad with a stone after you
grind it, but I have always found it more accurate than freehanding a
drill
bit. I'm not ham fisted with grinder work by any means (as an example, I
can hand grind my tungstens well enough that my TIG instructor thought I
was using an electrode grinder), but the Drill Doctor is just more
reliable
at getting the angles correct.

I don't doubt there are people who can do a better job by hand than what
is done by a Drill Doctor, but I'm certainly not one of them. And I've
never
had a bit sharpened with the thing fail to put a clean, proper hole
through
the workpiece, which I'd think is about all could ask for a device of that
sort in its price range.

The M500 is NOT the same as the Drill Doctor

Gunner, who owns and uses an M500

Are you sure that yours isn't an M5? There was a Drill Doctor 500, which is
what Iggy may be referring to, but I don't think I've ever seen an M500.

Mike

You are quite right. However..mine is clearly marked M500, which I
suspect was a later model with the borazon wheels. It looks identical
to the M5.

Or Ive brain farted completly. G...sigh

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner