Tom Gardner

Default [OT] NG readers

I plead ignorance in this...I have had, built and programmed since before
CP/M days but it appears that my exclusive use of Outlook Express as a
reader has limited my knowledge of how other readers work. If you know OE
only shows the original posts and one must open the thread manually, thus
it's easy to ignore non-interesting posts and any threads. Some of you
apparently receive ALL posts and answers...are you NUTS??? If I choose to
reply, deep in a thread, to some stupid rant, some of you get that right in
your face. Sorry about that, I never understood the venomous replies to OT
posts because they are so easy for me to ignore or go on a bunny hunt. Are
there any advantages to other NG readers that outweigh the way they organize
posts?

Nick Müller

Tom Gardner wrote:

Some of you apparently receive ALL posts and answers...are you NUTS???

So you didn't hear about the difference between online news-clients and
offline clients? Right? Right!

Anyhow, this thread gets filtered (by) me, and still my newsreader will
downlod the answers to it. But I won't see them ...

Byebye! :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Default NG readers

Hi, Tom.
My ISP no longer supports news, so I use Google to read/reply to news.
It also requires that you do one click on the topic to open the topic
and then will display the responses a page at a time.

Paul

Jon Danniken

"Tom Gardner" wrote:
[...]

OE can be set to have all threads expanded, it's how mine is set up. (Tools
Options Read Automatically expand....) It helps to have a scroll

wheel mouse to flick through the threads up top.

Jon

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:42:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

I plead ignorance in this...I have had, built and programmed since before
CP/M days but it appears that my exclusive use of Outlook Express as a
reader has limited my knowledge of how other readers work. If you know OE
only shows the original posts and one must open the thread manually, thus
it's easy to ignore non-interesting posts and any threads. Some of you
apparently receive ALL posts and answers...are you NUTS???

It's a matter of time. If you follow 3 groups, each of which get 300
messages per day, sorting through them to download takes longer than
reading the interesting articles. (60 minutes -minimum- to sort vs. 15
minutes to download + 10 to ignore dull threads.) Since downloading
the threads takes place in the background, you can read while it's
happening. Also, if you choose only certain subjects of articles to
DL, you could miss a whole helluva lot of interesting articles you'd
otherwise see. But that process puts one at risk of being inundated by
the crapola, too. The I (ignore key) is getting worn out on this 3rd
keyboard for this computer.

If I choose to
reply, deep in a thread, to some stupid rant, some of you get that right in
your face. Sorry about that, I never understood the venomous replies to OT
posts because they are so easy for me to ignore or go on a bunny hunt. Are
there any advantages to other NG readers that outweigh the way they organize
posts?

Why must you continue to answer trolling posts, Tom?!? I've considered
plonking you many times on the days you send numerous replies to folks
like Cliff. Life's too short to put up with too much ****.

I love Fortè Agent and it's missing only one thing: better
filtering of threads. If I could filter troll threads by
originating post or by text in the message, I'd be a whole
lot happier. I haven't yet upgraded my v1.93 to 2.0 becaues
they didn't add a whole lot of things I need/use. I'll wait
for really good filtering, though it's already fairly good,
before I pay the upgrade.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

Anthony

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
:

I plead ignorance in this...I have had, built and programmed since
before CP/M days but it appears that my exclusive use of Outlook
Express as a reader has limited my knowledge of how other readers
work. If you know OE only shows the original posts and one must open
the thread manually, thus it's easy to ignore non-interesting posts
and any threads. Some of you apparently receive ALL posts and
answers...are you NUTS??? If I choose to reply, deep in a thread, to
some stupid rant, some of you get that right in your face. Sorry
about that, I never understood the venomous replies to OT posts
because they are so easy for me to ignore or go on a bunny hunt. Are
there any advantages to other NG readers that outweigh the way they
organize posts?

Tom, give XNews a try. To me, the best newsreader out there. Very
powerful filtering/scoring capabilities if you are so inclined to use
them, but works great right out of the install.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
steamer

--FWIW I'm a hard core "shell" advocate. If your ISP offers shell
access you've got a leg up on everyone else, because then you have access
to unix shell and all the kewl stuff like killfiles. It's also a damn
sight faster than any other access method, as the mouse is no longer
needed: I do *all* thread navigation with the 4 arrow keys.
--My shell program is putty which is free, too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou...
Tom Gardner

Well, from the replies and talking to a few people, it seems that OE is far
superior for the way I use NGs. I track about 20 of them in various sport
and craft topics and I can stay on top of all of them in less than 5 minutes
a day without any filtering...unless I post, reply or bunny hunt. Then I
forget that some have dial-up, I would abandon the net if I had to use
dial-up! I'm truly embarrassed that some people see one of my replies
that's buried 10 layers deep in a thread, a reply that is only meant for the
people following that thread. I often enjoy bantering just for it's own
sake. I'm often accused by my office staff that their jobs only exist to
argue with me on any point and any perspective...all in good fun and
everybody understands it's an exercise.