Lobster

Default [OT] portable radio/CD player for MP3s?

To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to
this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with
built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play
MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does
such a beast exist?

I know there are various personal hifi options that would do the trick,
along with a separate amplifier/speaker unit but that's not what I want.
I'd like to be able to play compilation CDs etc containing 150 or so
MP3 tracks; and as it's genuinely for 'music-while-I-diy' I don't want
to use anything fragile or expensive in a mucky environment.

We have a 25-quid DVD player for the kids, which plays DVD, CD, MP3 -
you name it - via the telly, so I can't believe there isn't a market out
there for what I'm looking for; and if so, why can't I find it!

Thanks
David
John Greystrong

Lobster wrote:
To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to
this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with
built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play
MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does
such a beast exist?

We bought a Hitachi one at Xmas from Currys/Comet/Miller Bros. 50 quid
and works fine. It buffers quite a few tracks in it's memory so it
can cope with quite large knocks/falling down stairs etc.

John
Christian McArdle

To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to
this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with
built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play
MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does
such a beast exist?

No problem finding them at all.

No idea if this link will work (may be connection based)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E26756E8A
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J27711E8A

(they link to
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

If the links don't work, they're argos cat number 512/9498 and 512/9436. I'm
sure they'll have more.

They didn't have anything under 50 quid before Christmas, though. If they
did, I'd have bought one already!

Christian.

Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to
this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with
built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play
MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does
such a beast exist?

No problem finding them at all.

Sorry! tried several e-shops all to no avail, but not Argos.

No idea if this link will work (may be connection based)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E26756E8A
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J27711E8A

Yes they worked, many thanks. That 29 quid Alba job looks just right
for my present needs!

David
John Stumbles

Christian McArdle wrote:
To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to
this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with
built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play
MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does
such a beast exist?

No problem finding them at all.

No idea if this link will work (may be connection based)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E26756E8A
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J27711E8A

(they link to
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

If the links don't work, they're argos cat number 512/9498 and 512/9436. I'm
sure they'll have more.

They didn't have anything under 50 quid before Christmas, though. If they
did, I'd have bought one already!

They were flogging them (or another Hitachi MP3 box) quite cheaply a
month or so back, but had sold out by the time I tried our local stores
or their web site. alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains (what muppet
thought up the punctuation of that name? :-) is a good place to ask -
the question has come up there from time to time already.