Larry Jaques

Default [OT] NG readers

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:42:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

I plead ignorance in this...I have had, built and programmed since before
CP/M days but it appears that my exclusive use of Outlook Express as a
reader has limited my knowledge of how other readers work. If you know OE
only shows the original posts and one must open the thread manually, thus
it's easy to ignore non-interesting posts and any threads. Some of you
apparently receive ALL posts and answers...are you NUTS???

It's a matter of time. If you follow 3 groups, each of which get 300
messages per day, sorting through them to download takes longer than
reading the interesting articles. (60 minutes -minimum- to sort vs. 15
minutes to download + 10 to ignore dull threads.) Since downloading
the threads takes place in the background, you can read while it's
happening. Also, if you choose only certain subjects of articles to
DL, you could miss a whole helluva lot of interesting articles you'd
otherwise see. But that process puts one at risk of being inundated by
the crapola, too. The I (ignore key) is getting worn out on this 3rd
keyboard for this computer.

If I choose to
reply, deep in a thread, to some stupid rant, some of you get that right in
your face. Sorry about that, I never understood the venomous replies to OT
posts because they are so easy for me to ignore or go on a bunny hunt. Are
there any advantages to other NG readers that outweigh the way they organize
posts?

Why must you continue to answer trolling posts, Tom?!? I've considered
plonking you many times on the days you send numerous replies to folks
like Cliff. Life's too short to put up with too much ****.

I love Fortè Agent and it's missing only one thing: better
filtering of threads. If I could filter troll threads by
originating post or by text in the message, I'd be a whole
lot happier. I haven't yet upgraded my v1.93 to 2.0 becaues
they didn't add a whole lot of things I need/use. I'll wait
for really good filtering, though it's already fairly good,
before I pay the upgrade.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity