Waynemak

Default What is this MT2 item used for?

I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have found
a bunch of these

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

Not sure what it holds any help would be great. I also found a good number
of MT2 drills that have coolent holes how the do they make those? I am sure
those cost a few bucks new. They are sharp or new but I have no real use for
them. Most of the reamers seem to be metric, all sharp or new but not more
than 30 different sizes.

Leo Lichtman

"Waynemak" wrote: (clip) Not sure what it holds any help would be great.
(clip)
I use them quite a bit (pun intended.) You slip the non-tapered bore over
the non-business end of a drill bit, and you now have the equivalent of a
Mores taper drill, which will fit in your tailstock, or your headstock
spindle.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

I'd suggest they are much like a collet. A shank of a give size is
inserted, then the taper is rammed in place. That drives the cutting tool of
choice, and it's extracted from the taper socket via the rectangular access
hole through the side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Harold

Waynemak

Thats what I was thinking but have never seen one. I have about 25 of the
MT2 size, all are the same bore. I have another 25 that look to be MT1 and
they are different sizes.
thanks for the help
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Waynemak" wrote: (clip) Not sure what it holds any help would be great.
(clip)
I use them quite a bit (pun intended.) You slip the non-tapered bore over
the non-business end of a drill bit, and you now have the equivalent of a
Mores taper drill, which will fit in your tailstock, or your headstock
spindle.

john

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

I'd suggest they are much like a collet. A shank of a give size is
inserted, then the taper is rammed in place. That drives the cutting tool of
choice, and it's extracted from the taper socket via the rectangular access
hole through the side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Harold

Those collets are made to hold a straight shank drill with flats on the
extteme end of the drill, but a regular drill will work too but it can
slip a lot easier without the flats.

Also some of those type collets are made to hold taps too. They have a
cutout to hold the square end of the back of the tap.
Bob AZ

Wayne
I also found a good number of MT2 drills that have coolent holes how
the do they make those?

They predrill the holes and then twist the metal. Then grind and shape
as necessary.

Bob AZ

DeepDiver

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice eyes.

- Michael

Waynemak

I agree, I think it could be used as it is, but do think a tang would help
lock the tool.

Again thanks for all the help, if anyone has a use for one of these send me
your address.
"DeepDiver" wrote in message

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice
eyes.

- Michael

Nick Müller

Waynemak wrote:

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

Not sure what it holds any help would be great.

They either hold reamers (with their flat end) or taps (with their
square end).

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice

eyes.

- Michael

You're obviously correct, and I should have so noted. I have a few of the
drills that are used in such adapters, though I've never used them.

Harold

Tom

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice

eyes.

- Michael

You're obviously correct, and I should have so noted. I have a few of the
drills that are used in such adapters, though I've never used them.

Harold

Had a browse through some old catalogues and this appears
to be a collet for using taps in a MT drill spindle, such
tapping collets were marketed under the brand, "Ever-Wear"

Tom
Gunner

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:41:04 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice

eyes.

- Michael

You're obviously correct, and I should have so noted. I have a few of the
drills that are used in such adapters, though I've never used them.

Harold

I was given a full set of both drill and tap MT2 collets by an old
machinist. He explained to me..that the square hole was to stick in a
bit of key stock in case the drill slipped too deeply in the
collet..IE to prevent the drill from moving, and to assist in removing
a drill bit, perhaps one that was a smidge oversized or galled,

I use them regularly on my Hardinge lathes, and have only had one
slip, due to incompetence on my part.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Harold and Susan Vordos

news
wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

[...]

It's clear the slot has multiple uses----it need not be used as a drive--no
more so than a standard taper when a tang is not a part of a shank. Great
design---capable of multiple usage. How many of us have seen a tang
twisted off a large twist drill? They work, but only to a point. On
small stuff, it insures a breakage when things go pear shaped.

It might be noteworthy than shanks on taps are generally a ******* size,
even when getting to larger diameters. It's always been a source of
irritation for me. :-(

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

That drives the cutting tool of choice, and it's extracted from
the taper socket via the rectangular access hole through the
side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Is it possible the square cross-hole is to engage the driving tang on

the
ends of tang-shaft drill bits? That's what it looks like to my novice

eyes.

- Michael

You're obviously correct, and I should have so noted. I have a few of

the
drills that are used in such adapters, though I've never used them.

Harold

Had a browse through some old catalogues and this appears
to be a collet for using taps in a MT drill spindle, such
tapping collets were marketed under the brand, "Ever-Wear"

Tom

Possibly, depending on the diameter of the hole. I can't help but think
the concept has been used broadly, but not in recent history.

I've commented on tap shank sizes in my other post. That would help
determine the intended use of the adapter.

Thanks for the info, Tom. We can always count on you for the facts.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Waynemak says...

I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have found
a bunch of these

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

You didn't mention what size they were, but I bet if you
checked they're probably all sized to fit standard centerdrill
sizes.

Jim

please reply to:
Tom

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

[...]

Ye of little faith, Harold! :-)
I checked a later cat, 1937, as against 1923 and Scully-Jones
were making them up to 6MT with an internal square of 1.575"
to accommodate 2-1/2" taps. They listed 53 different sizes and
were prepared to supply specials for specific shanks & squares.

Tom
Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

[...]

Chuckle!
And here I thought they weren't *modern!*

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Waynemak says...

I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

You didn't mention what size they were, but I bet if you
checked they're probably all sized to fit standard centerdrill
sizes.

Jim

Along with a myriad of other standard and ******* sizes. These things
represent what, today, are quick change devices.

Harold

Waynemak

These are from years ago? They all look unused.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Waynemak says...

I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

You didn't mention what size they were, but I bet if you
checked they're probably all sized to fit standard centerdrill
sizes.

Jim

Along with a myriad of other standard and ******* sizes. These things
represent what, today, are quick change devices.

Harold

Paul Batozech

Waynemak wrote:

These are from years ago? They all look unused.

If not still in use they aren't long dead. These were popular in large
production shops, in fact the tanged drills used in the drill sockets
were always referred to as 'automotive shank' when I worked in such a
place. It's been 20 years or so since I worked there, but out of a shop
with thousands of machines one never saw a Jacobs or similar chuck.
All the CNC tooling used some sort of ER or DA collect system, while the
tooling used on radial drills and horizontal boring mills was
predominately morse taper. There were MT sockets for drills and
reamers, taps, and center drills, each designed for that type of tool.
All the radial drills, and there were many, were set up with a quick
change system that allowed changing tools with the spindle running, by
hand. The tool holders pretty much came in nothing but MT and whatever
you needed to hold had to either go in one of these sockets, or have a
MT shank. Usually twist drills 3/4" or so and up had MT shanks, while
those smaller had tanged shanks and employed MT sockets. One changed the
tool out of the holder with a drift key and hammer, while a good rap of
the butt of the holder on the bench corner was all that was required to
seat the new tool.

Paul

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Waynemak says...

I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/mt2/mt2.htm

You didn't mention what size they were, but I bet if you
checked they're probably all sized to fit standard centerdrill
sizes.

Jim

Along with a myriad of other standard and ******* sizes. These things
represent what, today, are quick change devices.

Harold

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
DoN. Nichols

According to Paul Batozech :

[ ... ]

predominately morse taper. There were MT sockets for drills and
reamers, taps, and center drills, each designed for that type of tool.
All the radial drills, and there were many, were set up with a quick
change system that allowed changing tools with the spindle running, by
hand. The tool holders pretty much came in nothing but MT and whatever
you needed to hold had to either go in one of these sockets, or have a
MT shank. Usually twist drills 3/4" or so and up had MT shanks, while
those smaller had tanged shanks and employed MT sockets. One changed the
tool out of the holder with a drift key and hammer, while a good rap of
the butt of the holder on the bench corner was all that was required to
seat the new tool.

I've got a few MT-1 holders for taps and for a very few drill
sizes. And I've made a socket for the MT-1 holders to fit into a
releasing tap holder for my lathe's bed turret. I have yet to make a
run with them now that I have them -- but I've got some roll form taps
to try with the system.

Nothing for the larger sizes, other than the MT-3 socket in the
lathe's tailstock, and the MT-2 socket in the drill press. (Oh yes --
also the MT1 socket in the tailstock of the little Compact-5/CNC lathe,
and the old Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Daniel A. Mitchell

Waynemak wrote:
Thats what I was thinking but have never seen one. I have about 25 of the
MT2 size, all are the same bore. I have another 25 that look to be MT1 and
they are different sizes.
thanks for the help
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Waynemak" wrote: (clip) Not sure what it holds any help would be great.
(clip)
I use them quite a bit (pun intended.) You slip the non-tapered bore over
the non-business end of a drill bit, and you now have the equivalent of a
Mores taper drill, which will fit in your tailstock, or your headstock
spindle.

The correct term for these is "Split Sleeve Drill Driver", or just
"Drill Driver". They are a sort of 2-jaw collet, used as others here
have suggested. Mostly they are a production tool. A popular brand is
Collis. Most machinst supplies have them, and they turn up in profusion
at used tool sales.

Dan Mitchell
nerve912

Default Official

So where can i find the origional? :wink:B):wink: