Scott Anderson

Default Definition of Natural Edge Item

I presenting a Computer Slideshow to the Townsville Woodturners (
Queensland, Australia) at their AGM on 6th Sept on the topic of natural
edge items. I'm devoting part of the presentation to a review of the
different definitions used to categorise a natural edge item for
competition by clubs around the globe. It would be much appreciated if
newsgroup members could reply to this message with their club's own
definition / specification. Webpages with good examples of the NE items
(spindle or face grain) would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.

Scott Anderson

Owen Lowe

In article
ilgate.org,
"Scott Anderson" wrote:

I presenting a Computer Slideshow to the Townsville Woodturners (
Queensland, Australia) at their AGM on 6th Sept on the topic of natural
edge items. I'm devoting part of the presentation to a review of the
different definitions used to categorise a natural edge item for
competition by clubs around the globe. It would be much appreciated if
newsgroup members could reply to this message with their club's own
definition / specification. Webpages with good examples of the NE items
(spindle or face grain) would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.

I'd define it as any item that retains the outer surface of the cambium
- whether that includes the bark or the natural surface the just
underlies the bark and begins the sapwood portion of the tree. The edge
must be left untouched though - once you begin shaping it you've
effectively lost the "natural" edge.

I don't have any pics of a natural edge uploaded, but here's a pic of a
bowl I'm half way done with:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/bowl.JPG
Neno Catania

Hey nice piece of elm, looks like the walls of your
bowl are pretty even!

Anonymous wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:00:07 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote:

I don't have any pics of a natural edge uploaded, but here's a pic of a
bowl I'm half way done with:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/bowl.JPG

Dunno ... looks like you are ALL the way done with that bowl!

ROFLOL!

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Neno Catania wrote:

Hey nice piece of elm, looks like the walls of your
bowl are pretty even!

Thanks. After turning quite a few pieces of elm I'll go on record saying
it's one of my least favorite woods. The interlocked grain makes it a
tough wood.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Owen Lowe wrote:

snip

I don't have any pics of a natural edge uploaded, but here's a pic of a
bowl I'm half way done with:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/bowl.JPG

Book matched bowls! What a concept! You gonna biscuit
them together or go with the more traditional dowels?
Of course, there's always T&G. Dovetails might be nice.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
charlie b wrote:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/bowl.JPG

Book matched bowls! What a concept! You gonna biscuit
them together or go with the more traditional dowels?
Of course, there's always T&G. Dovetails might be nice.

charlie b

Holy Crap Charlie - you're referencing a message from August '04! Might
I make a suggestion?

Evelyn Wood.

TIC/BSG/etc.

I never finished the other half, but when I do, I'll let you know how I
assemble it.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.