Owen Lowe

In article
ilgate.org,
"Scott Anderson" wrote:

I presenting a Computer Slideshow to the Townsville Woodturners (
Queensland, Australia) at their AGM on 6th Sept on the topic of natural
edge items. I'm devoting part of the presentation to a review of the
different definitions used to categorise a natural edge item for
competition by clubs around the globe. It would be much appreciated if
newsgroup members could reply to this message with their club's own
definition / specification. Webpages with good examples of the NE items
(spindle or face grain) would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.

I'd define it as any item that retains the outer surface of the cambium
- whether that includes the bark or the natural surface the just
underlies the bark and begins the sapwood portion of the tree. The edge
must be left untouched though - once you begin shaping it you've
effectively lost the "natural" edge.

I don't have any pics of a natural edge uploaded, but here's a pic of a
bowl I'm half way done with:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/bowl.JPG