DoN. Nichols

Default What is this MT2 item used for?

According to Paul Batozech :

[ ... ]

predominately morse taper. There were MT sockets for drills and
reamers, taps, and center drills, each designed for that type of tool.
All the radial drills, and there were many, were set up with a quick
change system that allowed changing tools with the spindle running, by
hand. The tool holders pretty much came in nothing but MT and whatever
you needed to hold had to either go in one of these sockets, or have a
MT shank. Usually twist drills 3/4" or so and up had MT shanks, while
those smaller had tanged shanks and employed MT sockets. One changed the
tool out of the holder with a drift key and hammer, while a good rap of
the butt of the holder on the bench corner was all that was required to
seat the new tool.

I've got a few MT-1 holders for taps and for a very few drill
sizes. And I've made a socket for the MT-1 holders to fit into a
releasing tap holder for my lathe's bed turret. I have yet to make a
run with them now that I have them -- but I've got some roll form taps
to try with the system.

Nothing for the larger sizes, other than the MT-3 socket in the
lathe's tailstock, and the MT-2 socket in the drill press. (Oh yes --
also the MT1 socket in the tailstock of the little Compact-5/CNC lathe,
and the old Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564