john

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am going throught the 100 pounds of reamers I dragged home, and have

found
a bunch of these

I'd suggest they are much like a collet. A shank of a give size is
inserted, then the taper is rammed in place. That drives the cutting tool of
choice, and it's extracted from the taper socket via the rectangular access
hole through the side of the adapter. Sort of a quick change.

Harold

Those collets are made to hold a straight shank drill with flats on the
extteme end of the drill, but a regular drill will work too but it can
slip a lot easier without the flats.

Also some of those type collets are made to hold taps too. They have a
cutout to hold the square end of the back of the tap.