Rex B

Default Enco 1024 what are these extra gears?

1986 1024 Enco
It came about 5 gears, wired together and never used.
No mention of them in what little I have of a similar owners manual.
The machine already has a QC box.
The thread chart seems to indicate a 60-tooth gear in the geartrain.

The lathe came to me with the following gears installed:

Output gear from headstock 40T keyed
Idler gear on banjo 70T, bearing in center
Input gear to QC 40T keyed

The extra gears are,
25T keyed
25T keyed
39T approx, keyed
43T keyed
60T with hub, keyed

I can't figure out when and how these should be used.
This lathe is probably similar to an older Jet 10x24

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX
Jim Stewart

Rex B wrote:
1986 1024 Enco
It came about 5 gears, wired together and never used.
No mention of them in what little I have of a similar owners manual.
The machine already has a QC box.
The thread chart seems to indicate a 60-tooth gear in the geartrain.

Metric. I have the same machine and mine
has decals showing different tooth ratios
for metric threading. I've used the gears
to cut an M.5 thread for a microscope
adapter. As I recall, I used the 39 and/
or 43.

The lathe came to me with the following gears installed:

Output gear from headstock 40T keyed
Idler gear on banjo 70T, bearing in center
Input gear to QC 40T keyed

The extra gears are,
25T keyed
25T keyed
39T approx, keyed
43T keyed
60T with hub, keyed

I can't figure out when and how these should be used.
This lathe is probably similar to an older Jet 10x24

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

CAMCOMPCO

Not saying this is it, but my lathe came with a group of metric gears.
Could that be it? Just guessing.

John

Rex B

Jim Stewart wrote:
Rex B wrote:

1986 1024 Enco
It came about 5 gears, wired together and never used.
No mention of them in what little I have of a similar owners manual.
The machine already has a QC box.
The thread chart seems to indicate a 60-tooth gear in the geartrain.

Metric. I have the same machine and mine
has decals showing different tooth ratios
for metric threading. I've used the gears
to cut an M.5 thread for a microscope
adapter. As I recall, I used the 39 and/
or 43.

Jim

Any chance you could scan a manual for me?

Rex
Jerry Foster

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:
1986 1024 Enco
It came about 5 gears, wired together and never used.
No mention of them in what little I have of a similar owners manual.
The machine already has a QC box.
The thread chart seems to indicate a 60-tooth gear in the geartrain.

Metric. I have the same machine and mine
has decals showing different tooth ratios
for metric threading. I've used the gears
to cut an M.5 thread for a microscope
adapter. As I recall, I used the 39 and/
or 43.

Probably not. While the exact English/metric conversion requrires a 100 and
a 127 tooth gear, these are BIG (and expensive). A very close approximation
is obtained with a 37 and a 47 tooth gear. The result is close enough
unless you are threading a very long piece.

Jerry

Jet 1024 lathe change gears - I made my own!! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 7 September 15th 05 08:05 PM
Need a gear , older Enco lathe Rex Burkheimer Metalworking 20 July 3rd 05 04:21 AM
Enco 1024 QC parts? Rex Metalworking 2 June 27th 05 01:47 AM
Enco Attaboy - Delta sander experience Peter Grey Metalworking 3 June 4th 05 11:20 PM
Enco lathe 1024 info? Rex Metalworking 9 May 18th 05 08:39 PM