Pete C.

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"SteveB" wrote: It tells me that there must be a pretty good profit in the
insurance game. Pardon me, trade.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I knew what you were driving at. But do you see what I was getting at?
Insurance companies can't make a profit if they just pay the losses with the
money they take in. They have to invest the premiums at interest, so the
expected losses still leave them a profit.

Incorrect, they can and do make a profit by charging premiums that
exceed the predicted losses. Their actuaries spend plenty of time
figuring out how much a particular coverage will cost in claims and they
price the premiums to collect that much plus whatever profit they can
get away with. Any investment profits just ice the corrupt cake. And
premiums are regularly increased to offset losses in a completely
unrelated area.

Pete C.
Leo Lichtman

"Pete C." wrote: Incorrect, they can and do make a profit by charging
premiums that exceed the predicted losses. (clip) Any investment profits
just ice the corrupt cake. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I don't argue with you, please don't mistake that for agreement.

SteveB

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote: It tells me that there must be a pretty good profit in
the insurance game. Pardon me, trade.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I knew what you were driving at. But do you see what I was getting at?
Insurance companies can't make a profit if they just pay the losses with
the money they take in. They have to invest the premiums at interest, so
the expected losses still leave them a profit.

And a pretty good profit when you can build some of THE biggest tallest
buildings in a large city.

And a pretty good scheme, too. Here, let me hold your money, and if you
have a loss, you can try to get some of it back.

Hmmmmmm. Let's see. There's the deductible. The exclusions. The
preexisting conditions. The prudent person clause.

OOOOPS. This shows you owe US money!

Steve

Seeking Fixer-Upper for Commercial Photo Shoot [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 22nd 05 05:58 PM
Seeking Fixer-Upper for Commercial Photo Shoot [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 22nd 05 02:35 PM
Seeking Fixer-Upper for Commercial Photo Shoot [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 22nd 05 02:30 PM
OT - 386 code Cliff Metalworking 40 January 24th 05 05:47 AM
sony 8mm camcorder, power on , can shoot 10-20 sec, then white screen, can't do any thing Richard Zhu Electronics Repair 3 December 1st 04 01:51 PM