bill

Default how's this for a nearly worthless tool

follow this link:

while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
electric fork right off the bat)

Grant Erwin

bill wrote:

follow this link:

while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
electric fork right off the bat)

Or how about this one http://tinyurl.com/9ar5j 4 POS import machinist's jacks
that I see for sale new for about $2-3US all the time WITH the handles and some
idiots have bid 4 of these useless items up to nearly new price with lots of
time left to go ..

There's a sucker born every minute.

GWE
Dick Adams

bill wrote:

follow this link:

while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
electric fork right off the bat)

If this is what I think it is, I just bought one so I could take the
door off an old refrigerator.

Dick

DoN. Nichols

According to Grant Erwin :
bill wrote:

[ ... ]

maybe it's also a way to start a
discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
electric fork right off the bat)

Or how about this one http://tinyurl.com/9ar5j 4 POS import machinist's jacks
that I see for sale new for about $2-3US all the time WITH the handles and some
idiots have bid 4 of these useless items up to nearly new price with lots of
time left to go ..

Note also that the number of keywords in the title which are not
justified is interesting:

1) Leveling feet foot
2) Starrett
3) lathe
4) platform
5) machine shop

Certainly, (2) and (3) need not apply, even if the others sort
of fit. (I've grouped the words as I think they belong, since the
seller did not bother to use commas. :-)

The real Starrett machinists' jacks are *much* better
construction, with enough options to support all kinds of weird shapes
on a planer or shaper table, or on a milling table.

BTW They closed at $31.00. :-)

There's a sucker born every minute.

Apparently at least three of them in this auction. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
carl mciver

"bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
| follow this link:
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4406121360
|
| while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
| is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
| discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
| an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
| electric fork right off the bat)

Actually, this is a really cool attachment. At work I can drive
hundreds of screws in one day with my pneumatic screw gun. I just hold the
trigger down and go from screw to screw. Of course the motor won't run
until the bit is pushed in, but the principle is the same. Not worth it for
a handful of fasteners, but if I did lots of 'em I'd be all over it.

Pete Keillor

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:18:03 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"bill" wrote in message
roups.com...
| follow this link:
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4406121360
|
| while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
| is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
| discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
| an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
| electric fork right off the bat)

Actually, this is a really cool attachment. At work I can drive
hundreds of screws in one day with my pneumatic screw gun. I just hold the
trigger down and go from screw to screw. Of course the motor won't run
until the bit is pushed in, but the principle is the same. Not worth it for
a handful of fasteners, but if I did lots of 'em I'd be all over it.

The two Weidmuller screwdrivers I had did not have a trigger. Just
set the predetermined torque required by the size terminal strip screw
you were tightening and push. Pushing activated it, stalling stopped
it. Very fast when you have 500 to 1000 terminations to make, but
very pricey.

Pete Keillor
Jeff Wisnia

bill wrote:
follow this link:

while this is partly a blatant shill for an auction for something that
is nearly worthless as a tool, maybe it's also a way to start a
discussion on really really useless tools - this one being something of
an example, but I'm sure there are worse (and please, let's exclude the
electric fork right off the bat)

Don't laff yet....

I'm gonnna be interested in seeing what the toy tool collectors (like
me) bid this one up to.

I've got a Sears Craftsman "Reversing Speed Reducer" from the same era
which I bought new in the 60s, before variable speed, reversing and
torque limiting clutches were a twinkle in "drill motor" designers' eyes.

It's about 3" in diameter and intended to be chucked in a quarter inch
drill. Planetary/differential gears inside reduce the speed. There's a
ribbed collar on the outside you grip to make the differential gearing
exert torque on the output shaft, you modulated the torque by letting
that collar slip through your hand.

The clutch collar can be snapped up or down to make the output rotation
CW or CCW. The output shaft had a "Yankee Screwdriver" type spring chuck
to hold 1/4" shank screwdriver blades.

It worked great back then when I needed it, now it's just something to
look at and remember those halcyon younger days.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Bruder

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

bill wrote:
[...]

My landlord has one of those in the toolbox here. Took me literally
months to figure out what the heck it actually did, since I never
actually chucked it up. And now I find out what it's acutally intended
for... Neat

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Bill Janssen

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

bill wrote:

[...]

Hey I have one of those in my tool stash. If you find out that
collectors want yours let me know
and I will put mine up for sale :-) (after you sell yours)

Bill K7NOM
bill

jeff - I have one of these exact tools, (the screw driver attachement
with internal gear reduction) - I got it with "blue chip stamps", if
you can remember when markets gave you these "savings stamps" as a
premium for shopping there - I think filling stations gave these out
too - there were "blue chip" and S&H gree stamps - I may even have part
of a book filled with them still.

These things are great - with an old style 1/4 inch drill you can get a
lot of torque and a reasonable speed, and you can modulate hte speed by
letting the outer rim slip in your hand a little.

We shall see what the cheezy thing I listed on ebay brings - so far
only your bid but maybe someone will come to the rescue and make me
rich

ok guys - make my day, buy this piece of sh*t

Jeff Wisnia

bill wrote:

jeff - I have one of these exact tools, (the screw driver attachement
with internal gear reduction) - I got it with "blue chip stamps", if
you can remember when markets gave you these "savings stamps" as a
premium for shopping there - I think filling stations gave these out
too - there were "blue chip" and S&H gree stamps - I may even have part
of a book filled with them still.

Heck yes, I remember them well. And I also emember the ration stamps and
tokens my mom needed to buy meat and butter during WWII. I still have
her little black change purse with some of the coin shaped fibre "one
point" tokens in it.

S&H is still around, only they're computerized now:

http://www.greenpoints.com/account/act_default.asp

Jeff

These things are great - with an old style 1/4 inch drill you can get a
lot of torque and a reasonable speed, and you can modulate hte speed by
letting the outer rim slip in your hand a little.

We shall see what the cheezy thing I listed on ebay brings - so far
only your bid but maybe someone will come to the rescue and make me
rich

ok guys - make my day, buy this piece of sh*t

Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Leon Fisk

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:14:51 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

snip
I've got a Sears Craftsman "Reversing Speed Reducer" from the same era
which I bought new in the 60s, before variable speed, reversing and
torque limiting clutches were a twinkle in "drill motor" designers' eyes.

It's about 3" in diameter and intended to be chucked in a quarter inch
drill. Planetary/differential gears inside reduce the speed. There's a
ribbed collar on the outside you grip to make the differential gearing
exert torque on the output shaft, you modulated the torque by letting
that collar slip through your hand.

The clutch collar can be snapped up or down to make the output rotation
CW or CCW. The output shaft had a "Yankee Screwdriver" type spring chuck
to hold 1/4" shank screwdriver blades.

It worked great back then when I needed it, now it's just something to
look at and remember those halcyon younger days.

Hi Jeff,

I still have mine and use it regularly. Do you have the
accessories (sockets, adaptors, bits) and blown plastic case
yet?

It works great chucked in a Dewalt 3/8 inch VSR drill motor.
You get much more control, torque and is a whole lot easier
on the drill motor. A stalled, grunting motor really makes
the hair on the back of my neck stand up. With a reversible
drill you don't have to fuddle around changing its rotation
either. Just flip the drill switch and go.

And here I thought I was the only fool still using one of
those nifty old gizmos ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM
The Biggest Tool You'll Ever Own Tom Watson Woodworking 10 July 20th 03 06:48 AM