Ben Hockenhull

Default Recommendations for clamp wire temper

I'm looking for some general recommendations for quality steel wire to use
as wire for making clamps, a la the Clamp-Tite tool. In looking at
various wire available, I notice that I have a choice of various tempers,
from soft all the way to spring temper. Anyone have any opinions as to
what temper of wire to use to get a clamp that'll hold tight and be
durable? I think I can sort out steel types and diameters more or less
myself.

Thanks

ben

Don Foreman

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:12:16 GMT, Ben Hockenhull
wrote:

I'm looking for some general recommendations for quality steel wire to use
as wire for making clamps, a la the Clamp-Tite tool. In looking at
various wire available, I notice that I have a choice of various tempers,
from soft all the way to spring temper. Anyone have any opinions as to
what temper of wire to use to get a clamp that'll hold tight and be
durable? I think I can sort out steel types and diameters more or less
myself.

Thanks

ben

I like annealed stainless aircraft safety wire. The full
nomenclature is:
"wire, nonelectrical, steel, corrosion resistant, round,alloy type
302/304, cond. anl, passivated, MS20995C, ASTM A 580"

It was made by Brookfield Wire Company, Brookfield MASS.

I don't remember where I got it.
Ben Hockenhull

wrote:

I'm looking for some general recommendations for quality steel wire to use
as wire for making clamps, a la the Clamp-Tite tool. In looking at
various wire available, I notice that I have a choice of various tempers,
from soft all the way to spring temper. Anyone have any opinions as to
what temper of wire to use to get a clamp that'll hold tight and be
durable? I think I can sort out steel types and diameters more or less
myself.

I like annealed stainless aircraft safety wire. The full
nomenclature is:
"wire, nonelectrical, steel, corrosion resistant, round,alloy type
302/304, cond. anl, passivated, MS20995C, ASTM A 580"

That helps, thanks. I was looking at getting both some carbon steel wire
as well as some stainless, as the carbon steel should be less expensive
for pure screwing around.

What's the relationship between temper and the wire's ability to take and
hold a set? I'm assuming that annealed wire is better at taking a bend,
but am less certain about holding it under force.

Ben
Don Foreman

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:25:17 GMT, Ben Hockenhull
wrote:

That helps, thanks. I was looking at getting both some carbon steel wire
as well as some stainless, as the carbon steel should be less expensive
for pure screwing around.

What's the relationship between temper and the wire's ability to take and
hold a set? I'm assuming that annealed wire is better at taking a bend,
but am less certain about holding it under force.

I don't know. It might need to be a pretty soft temper to take sharp
bends without cracking. Annealed wire probably work hardens a little
when bent sharply.

Wayne Cook

wrote:

That helps, thanks. I was looking at getting both some carbon steel wire
as well as some stainless, as the carbon steel should be less expensive
for pure screwing around.

What's the relationship between temper and the wire's ability to take and
hold a set? I'm assuming that annealed wire is better at taking a bend,
but am less certain about holding it under force.

I don't know. It might need to be a pretty soft temper to take sharp
bends without cracking. Annealed wire probably work hardens a little
when bent sharply.

I use electric fence wire with my version (mines very old and made a
lot different from the ones you get now days but does the same job). I
think that electric fence wire would be in a mid range as far as
hardness goes. It doesn't like to be twisted very much or it'll break
but it can be twisted some before it does.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gerald Miller

wrote:

I'm looking for some general recommendations for quality steel wire to use
as wire for making clamps, a la the Clamp-Tite tool. In looking at
various wire available, I notice that I have a choice of various tempers,
from soft all the way to spring temper. Anyone have any opinions as to
what temper of wire to use to get a clamp that'll hold tight and be
durable? I think I can sort out steel types and diameters more or less
myself.

Thanks

ben

I use #19 black iron tie wire for both garden hose and 100 psi air
line - by the time it starts to leak, it's time to re-do the fitting.
I tried equivalent sized stainless but found I couldn't get the same
tightness without snapping the wire. Maybe I need to learn how to
anneal stainless.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Nick Müller

Ben Hockenhull wrote:

I'm looking for some general recommendations

Besides the tips for an alloy, I do have a tip if you make sharp bends.
Afterwards, you should put the part into the oven for some hours at
about 550..600°F to stress relieve it.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models