Ben Hockenhull

In article , Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:12:16 GMT, Ben Hockenhull
wrote:

I'm looking for some general recommendations for quality steel wire to use
as wire for making clamps, a la the Clamp-Tite tool. In looking at
various wire available, I notice that I have a choice of various tempers,
from soft all the way to spring temper. Anyone have any opinions as to
what temper of wire to use to get a clamp that'll hold tight and be
durable? I think I can sort out steel types and diameters more or less
myself.

I like annealed stainless aircraft safety wire. The full
nomenclature is:
"wire, nonelectrical, steel, corrosion resistant, round,alloy type
302/304, cond. anl, passivated, MS20995C, ASTM A 580"

That helps, thanks. I was looking at getting both some carbon steel wire
as well as some stainless, as the carbon steel should be less expensive
for pure screwing around.

What's the relationship between temper and the wire's ability to take and
hold a set? I'm assuming that annealed wire is better at taking a bend,
but am less certain about holding it under force.

Ben