Jim L.

Default Cleaning tank solution.

Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop cleaning
tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

Tom Gardner

"Jim L." wrote in message
. ..
Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop
cleaning tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

Cascade powdered automatic dishwasher detergent. preferably hot.

Grant Erwin

Jim L. wrote:

Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop cleaning
tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

In my parts cleaner I run mineral spirits. Make that used paint thinner, which I
got free (about 30 gallons) off my local craigslist. Dirt cheap, works great.
It's "aliphated mineral spirits". When I read the MSDS for Super Agitene by
Graymills (maker of my parts washer) it is essentially "aliphated mineral
spirits" plus some dye and perfume. $48 per five gallon bucket.

If you're talking about some kind of tank you soak a carburetor in, this ain't
it. - GWE
DeepDiver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

In my parts cleaner I run mineral spirits. Make that used paint thinner,
which
I got free (about 30 gallons) off my local craigslist. Dirt cheap, works
great.

I just hope you know what it was previously used for. I wouldn't want to
breath (and get on my skin) some solvent that had previously been used with
something really toxic or carcinogenic.

Personally, I use a 50/50 mixture of kerosene and *low-odor* mineral
spirits. It works great! (The low-odor spirits are more highly-refined so
there's less smelly volatile compounds in it. Some brands of regular mineral
spirits stink so badly they give me a quick headache.)

I tried a "quality" commercial water-based parts cleaner before. Not only
did it NOT clean my parts, but they quickly corroded in the solution
(despite what the label said).

- Michael

Rex B

Jim L. wrote:
Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop cleaning
tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

That's the route I'm going for a secondary washer. That or generic
Purple Cleaner. Just remember it attacks aluminum if immersed for a
length of time.

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:51:05 GMT, "Jim L." wrote:

Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop cleaning
tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

If you want a water based solvent Simple Green would work well for
most situations. But the perfume they add makes me sick to my stomach.
You may also be sickened by the stuff. They told me they do make an
un-perfumed version but I've never seen it. Recently Castrol Super
Clean (the purple stuff) was mentioned here as a good degreaser. And
it is. Looking at the jug you will see warnings that it may burn your
skin. So rubber gloves are a good idea with the stuff. As Grant
mentioned, paint thinner is good for lots of cleaning. Some people add
some light oil to it so that it doesn't de-fat your skin so fast. I
use water based cleaners when I can and only use paint thinner when I
need to.
ERS
Rex B

I have two parts cleaners:

#1 is made from a 55-gallon drum. It has a common immersion pump
suspended about 14 inches from the bottom. The outlet feeds a pipe up to
a flexspout. There are 3 L-brackets above that (about 12 inches from the
top) to support the working shelf, which is a disk cut to just drop
into the ID. There is just enough clearance for it to drain faster than
the pump. A fitted drain tray hooks over the edge
I fill the bottom 11 inches with water. From there to just below the
shelf is solvent, currently straight kerosene. The grit and metal falls
into the water and does not recirculate, so it acts as a filter.
This works well for big, dirty things. The kerosene splashes and some
of it aerosols, and that isn't good for me to breathe. I do use and
recommend use of a 3M mask. I have also used a fan blowing across it
while I work.

The other parts washer is your basic 20-gallon asian import. Currently
has a dead pump, but when it's fixed it will be filled with purple
cleaner, probably generic.

- -
Rex Burkheimer

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:51:05 GMT, "Jim L." wrote:

Greetings- wondering what brand of cleaner is popular in home shop cleaning
tanks. Am thinking of Simple Green and the like. Thanks, Jim

surftom

Do a search on RCM for somthing called "Ed's Red Cleaning Solution"
have not personally used it but have read good things on this NG

Tom