ottomatic

Default Help bed casting

sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA
Otto

Mark

Do you have a pattern made?

The tricky part is the pattern since there are commercial foundries who
would cast your lathe bed, but prices may not moderate.

Mark
"ottomatic" wrote in message
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA
Otto

ottomatic

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
Do you have a pattern made?

The tricky part is the pattern since there are commercial foundries who
would cast your lathe bed, but prices may not moderate.

not yet, but I think I can come up with a pattern once I locate someone who
is willing to cast it foe less than what I paid for my first house.

Otto

Mark
"ottomatic" wrote in message
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA
Otto

Rex B

ottomatic wrote:
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

Otto
Quite a few people have bought an extra bed and grafted onto the
original. In your case it would take two.
There is a Yahoo group devoted to extended minilathes.

Rex B
ottomatic

"Rex B" wrote in message

ottomatic wrote:
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

Otto
Quite a few people have bought an extra bed and grafted onto the
original. In your case it would take two.
There is a Yahoo group devoted to extended minilathes.

thanks for the tip, though that option is also one I am trying to avoid
i didn't know there was a goup specfically for extended minis
do you knkow the name of the group?

thx
Otto

Rex B

John Martin

ottomatic wrote:
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA
Otto

Just my opinion, but I think you'll find so much work involved in this
that buying a larger lathe would make much more sense. The casting
will have to be aged, or heat treated to stabilize it. Then, you're
looking at quite a few machining operations - milling, followed by
grinding or hand scraping. Why not just buy a larger machine?

John Martin

ottomatic

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

ottomatic wrote:
[...]

I would love to buy a 7x mini with a longer bed(36 in between centers)
no such animal exisit, so far as I know

Otto

John Martin