ed psycho

Default Pewter sand casting advice?

Hi Folks,

FYI, I have basic experience in casting small items with pewter in
soapstone.

As my next goal, I'd like to make something like a small platter or
dinner plate (maybe 12" or so in diameter to start with). I am thinking
I could do this via a sand casting technique, which I have not done
before, but seems straightforward, and I anticipate the materials are
within my budgetary constraints...

I figure I'd make forms of 1x8 pine lumber and/or 1/2" or 3/4" plywood,
maybe 20x20" or so since I'm proposing a 12" plate, get some 100 grit
silica sand somewhere, and put the master plate upside down on the
bottom form smooth surface with a extra lump in the middle to fill in
the concave space, dust it all, then set and fill the top form on top of
that.

The master dinnerplate I'm thinking of would be a plain looking item in
ceramic (no fancy details or scrollwork or anything), I've got some
friends who do pottery, or I might buy a nice one from a department
store, like a piece of that Fiestaware stuff.

My main references are the McCreight books, while quite illustrative and
easy for a newbie like me these mostly deal with smaller items like
little trinkets and such.

How would folks here go about it, or maybe could suggest some references
on casting peweter on the "larger" scale and/or type of items I am
proposing? I'd eventually like to make bigger platters, or a simple cup
or mug, or maybe candlesticks, but that would be after I get dinner
plates down.

I'd plan to use either R8 or B7 pewter alloys from Ney Metals, if this
makes any difference.

Thanks,

Ed

Donald

"ed psycho" wrote in message
[...]

------------------
Lindsay Pub. www.lindsaybks.com have some excellent books on sand casting.

I would make your flasks 16" x 16" x 6" DEEP to keep the sand in the flask.

Buy a 50lb bag of Petro Sand instead of trying to mix your own.

Don Warner
------------------------------

Ron Thompson

------------------
Lindsay Pub. www.lindsaybks.com have some excellent books on sand casting.

I would make your flasks 16" x 16" x 6" DEEP to keep the sand in the flask.

Buy a 50lb bag of Petro Sand instead of trying to mix your own.

Don Warner
------------------------------

That is still a fairly deep flask, if you are talking per side. Most
of mine are made from 2x4s which gives a total flask depth (cope and
drag) of 7".
I use K-bond sand, an oil bonded sand which is similar to petrobond.
The detail is in the grain size.
Take a look at the K-bond link on this page:
http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/

For everything you ever wanted to know about sand casting, I suggest:

Ron Thompson
Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast,
Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

'If you're standing in a puddle, don't touch anything that hums'
From the Red Green show
Andrew Werby

[Why cast it, if what you want is a dinner plate? You can buy pewter in
sheet form, already cut into a disc shape, and form it by hammering. Pewter
forms quite easily. Results are likely going to be better; certainly the
metal will have a smoother surface than if it was sand-cast. It will be a
lot more economical and lighter too.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Aerial advice MDD UK diy 8 April 10th 04 06:04 PM
rewire house - advice please george139 UK diy 15 February 4th 04 11:33 PM
Advice sought on American Turnmaster or Mazak lathe Rob Landry Metalworking 8 November 3rd 03 05:34 AM
fridge freezer brand advice vilm UK diy 4 July 15th 03 05:14 PM