ottomatic

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

ottomatic wrote:
sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the
7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very
modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe,
but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA
Otto

Just my opinion, but I think you'll find so much work involved in this
that buying a larger lathe would make much more sense. The casting
will have to be aged, or heat treated to stabilize it. Then, you're
looking at quite a few machining operations - milling, followed by
grinding or hand scraping. Why not just buy a larger machine?

I would love to buy a 7x mini with a longer bed(36 in between centers)
no such animal exisit, so far as I know

Otto

John Martin