Default motor on bicycle

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

wallster

http://www.bikemotor.com/
according to their site, these will go about 25-30mph. You could use the
pictures as references for your own design.

good luck,
walt

wrote in message
oups.com...
because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Robert Swinney

Hey! I can tell you a better way to do this. It'd be a lot better just to
go ahead and buy a motorcycle. They come in lots of HP's and speeds, and
besides, they are instantly available whereas your experiments would take
lots of time and $.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
oups.com...
because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Nick Müller

He's back! How I missed you!

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week?

How often a week do you go to work?
If you really want to save gas, I would go with DHMO. Nasty stuff, but
damned cheap! No more gas bills!

Read this: http://www.dhmo.org

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

The old Solex design attached the motor above the front wheel on a
pivot. The motor and drive roller lifted off the wheel to declutch.

Check your local Moped laws.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message

He's back! How I missed you!

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week?

How often a week do you go to work?
If you really want to save gas, I would go with DHMO. Nasty stuff, but
damned cheap! No more gas bills!

I wouldn't wish DHMO on my worst enemy! We've had _severe_ DHMO fallout
around our area for the last three weeks.

Trees are actually dying! People are getting sick. I've even seen
_earthworms_ coming up out of the ground and dying because of it. And in
New Orleans, the DHMO pollution has gotten so bad that humans are dying from
it.

It's terrible. No... NO! Even Stryped shouldn't be maliciously directed
toward mis-use of DHMO.

C'mon, Nick! Even for your enemies, you oughta have SOME heart!

LLoyd

Nick Müller

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

C'mon, Nick! Even for your enemies, you oughta have SOME heart!

OK, I nearly got killed when some idiots spreaded a bit of crystal (!)
DHMO on the highway!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:29:07 +0200, Nick Müller wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

C'mon, Nick! Even for your enemies, you oughta have SOME heart!

OK, I nearly got killed when some idiots spreaded a bit of crystal (!)
DHMO on the highway!

Was it the white crystal form, or the black form? The black stuff is
much more hazardous, just so you know.

Bret Ludwig

"What you are looking for was marketed and known as a "Whizzer" bike back

in the 40's and early 50's. The motor mounted in the frame just above
and slightly ahead of the pedal crank. Do a google and see what you can
find. By the way, I had two and they used a simple centrifugal clutch
with v-belt drive to the rear wheel. Should be easy to clone one."

Bicycle frames were a lot heavier back then.

And Whizzer clones are actually ridiculously expensive, but if you are
an amateur machinist and sand crab you might make patterns, pour
castings, and make one.

B.B.

In article .com,
wrote:

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

The setup I saw once was a bicycle that was built for a disc brake in
the rear. Or, rather, the hub was built so. Then he made an adapter
plate to put a large chain wheel (like you see at the crank of the bike,
but bigger) on the disc brake mount, and mounted a chain saw on a
luggage rack above the rear wheel. The chain saw power head came with a
clutch, so revving up would propel the bike, and idling or cutting it
off would disengage automatically. The normal drive line was right
where it always was, so if the engine failed he could pedal normally.
I think he could go about 30mph tops, and the range on one tank
(under a quart) was enough to go however far he went in a day.
The engine spins up to 14,000 RPM, so it was a big reduction from the
engine to the chain ring. The downside is that it's loud and even with
his reduction the engine had to stay below 14,000 RPM most of the time,
which caused carbon buildup. After one engine crapped out he got into
the habit of jacking up the rear wheel (put down kick-stand on concrete
and leaned the bike) and ran the engine at full throttle for a little
bit to help clean it up. Dunno if that even helped, though--I moved.
Personally, I'm working on my legs so I can pedal like hell without
wussing out like I do now. (:

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Rick

wrote in message
oups.com...
because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle

be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles

away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5

horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above

my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike?

Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an

interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Plenty fast-I did this about 30 years ago...

F. George McDuffee

Back to the future...
See
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/whizzer.htm
http://www.angelwings.com/whizzer/
http://www.extreme-scooters.com/whizzerpacemaker.htm

Your major problem (once you get it running and past the DMV)
will be being catapulted into the cemetery by a sweet young thing
driving a gigunda SUV and talking on her cell phone. Famous last
words you will hear are "but officer, I didn't even see him ..."
fade to black

Buy a ready to go scooter or motorcycle [I suggest a minimum of
250 cc for US conditions] and take the MSF new riders course [see
http://www.msf-usa.org/ ] even if its not required in your state
*BEFORE* you hit the road. Always wear a safety helmet.

As for your questions about how fast you can go with a 5 hp motor
-- fast enough to get killed.

On 8 Sep 2005 09:08:36 -0700, wrote:

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Nick Müller

Dave Hinz wrote:

Was it the white crystal form, or the black form?

Yes, the black monocrystal form! :-((
Next day a brief report about that spill of DHMO was in the newspaper.
The reponsibles aren't caught yet.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:31:53 +0200, Nick Müller wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Was it the white crystal form, or the black form?

Yes, the black monocrystal form! :-((

Ah yes, we had a problem with that at a fire scene a few years ago. It
made the fire department's response very much more hazardous, and quite
frankly slowed down the firefighting efforts and effectiveness
significantly. Nearly caused significant damage to two of our vehicles,
as well.

Nick Müller

Dave Hinz wrote:

It made the fire department's response very much more hazardous, and quite
frankly slowed down the firefighting efforts and effectiveness
significantly.

No wounder! They use DHMO in nuclear power plants. One can imagine what
**that** means.
In the beginning of the exploitation of DHMO they used it in nearly 100%
pure form! And later, they even heated it up to well obove 200°F! Lots
of explosions und people got hurt or killed.

But don't think that they quit using DHMO. Research is going on to use a
complex gas mixture that, when ignited, produces _pure_ evaporated DHMO.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
mike mcwilliams

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

I've done exactly this project with a motor from a weed whacker...
but I don't remember the horsepower (it was probably less than 5 though)

The basic problem is gas engines like high rpm to provide high torque.
In practice once I got going about 25kph, I could get cruising speed to
happen, and accelerate a little as well)

My clutch was a brake cable attached where one brake normally would go,
my transmission was a rollerblade wheel attached directly to the shaft
of the motor. The size of the wheel is critical in the distribution of
power to your bike (it acts as a gear, but doesn't always start with a
useable ratio, I had to take a little material off of one I used).

I physically pressed the rollerblade wheel using my "clutch" into the
rear tire by having the motor slide at one contact point(nearer the
shaft) on the motor mount, and fixed (but freely rotateable) at it's
other mount point (farthest the shaft). Using this method, I used the
rotating rear tire to start the motor (no pull cord for me).

For safety reasons, I included an electric kill switch located at one
handlebar.

Eventually I had to retire the contraption. The vibrations shook the
bike apart eventually causing faliure of many things (it was a drum
brake bike, and the drum was shaken apart). You could prevent this, but
the engineering time would be significant.

My top speed was over 75kph downhill (I often passed regular vehicles,
and that does get one some rather surprised looks), and this was clearly
a dangerous speed (I wore no helmet).

The gas was excessively cheap, and your 18 mile commute would have cost
pennies.

I often rode it with the engine off, and the weight was not too much
trouble.

Having done all that (and I encourage you to give it a shot, and let us
know how it goes), I would highly recommend however that you do an
electronic conversion instead.

Electric motors like to give you high torque at low rpm (which a lot of
biking demands), and doesn't totally **** out at higher rpm. The
vibrations would be less, hence less repair worries, but the final
weight will be much higher due to batteries.

My drawing board stage project is for an electric bike with an enclosure
so I can drive in the rain, and have better aerodynamics, and it will
be a recumbent... If I only get the time. My commute is slightly over a
marathon.
mike mcwilliams

Robert Swinney wrote:
Hey! I can tell you a better way to do this. It'd be a lot better just to
go ahead and buy a motorcycle. They come in lots of HP's and speeds, and
besides, they are instantly available whereas your experiments would take
lots of time and $.

So untrue. I did this project, and it cost me a total of 70$ canadian...

samc

Nick Müller wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

It made the fire department's response very much more hazardous, and quite
frankly slowed down the firefighting efforts and effectiveness
significantly.

No wounder! They use DHMO in nuclear power plants. One can imagine what
**that** means.
In the beginning of the exploitation of DHMO they used it in nearly 100%
pure form! And later, they even heated it up to well obove 200°F! Lots
of explosions und people got hurt or killed.

But don't think that they quit using DHMO. Research is going on to use a
complex gas mixture that, when ignited, produces _pure_ evaporated DHMO.

Nick

I am folowing this thread (sort of) what on earth is "DHMO" ?
Nick Müller

samc wrote:

I am folowing this thread (sort of) what on earth is "DHMO" ?

If you go back to the start, you will find this link:
http://www.dhmo.org

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

DoN. Nichols

According to Chris :

"JohnM" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Use an electric motor, you won't have the fumes and won't have to stop for
fuel. Just unroll the extension cord as you go to work and roll it back up
again as you come home.

A variable frequency drive would allow you to use a 3phase motor and have
speed selection, this would be an asset in traffic.

John

John,
Hate to bring up the normal response, but...

What gauge wire would that need to be for the extension?

The obvious response is:

How long does the extension cord need to be? :-) I figure just
over 15.5 A at a full 5 HP with a 240V line. You probably want no more
than a 10V loss over the length of the extension cord, so you want less
than 0.041 Ohms. So -- 4-0 wire would be pretty close at 1000 feet
total length (that is 500 feet away from the outlet).

0000 1000' total or 500' loop
#8 66' total or 33' loop
#6 104' total, or 52' loop
#16 10.3' total or 5.2' loop

If you insist on having 5 HP, you had probably better plan to
stick pretty close to home. :-)

Oh yes -- 4-0 (0000) is 640.5 pounds/1000 feet. :-)

Now -- you can reduce the current, and thus increase the
distance or reduce the gauge by stepping the voltage up high and
reducing it with a transformer on the bike -- but that would add enough
weight to neutralize the benefits. (Not to mention the extra cost of
high-voltage insulation on your extension cord. :-)

VFD would be nice, but lose about 1/3 of the HP on the motor. RPC might be
a better choice.

Huh? How do you expect to lose 1/3 of the motor's horsepower
with a VFD? With a so-called "static" phase converter (which in reality
is a starting capacitor and the necessary switching to take it out once
the motor is started), yes -- you would lose about 1/3 of the motor's
horsepower rating.

Now -- you might want to over-rate the VFD a bit if you are
going to be drawing full rating from it for long. But even a 7.5 HP VFD
will weigh a lot less than the 5HP motor. I know, because I've got an
old one on my shop wall.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

#8 66' total or 33' loop
#6 104' total, or 52' loop
#16 10.3' total or 5.2' loop

If you insist on having 5 HP, you had probably better plan to
stick pretty close to home. :-)

Oh yes -- 4-0 (0000) is 640.5 pounds/1000 feet. :-)

Now -- you can reduce the current, and thus increase the
distance or reduce the gauge by stepping the voltage up high and
reducing it with a transformer on the bike -- but that would add enough
weight to neutralize the benefits. (Not to mention the extra cost of
high-voltage insulation on your extension cord. :-)

OK so since we are limited to 500Ft and a distance of 18miles I think I have
a solution. Granted the option of using a higher transmission voltage
cannot be used with this solution; neighbors do not have a high voltage lug.

What I am thinking is making friends with the neighbors. Granted not all
would be willing, but you could win them over with "I am saving the
environment". Better yet if the OP is in a liberal area as he will
definitely find some suckers there.

So:
18 miles * 5280 feet = 95040 feet
95040 / 500 (length of extension) = 190.08 neighbors.

For the sake of simplicity I think it is safe to assume at least one down
hill run and we can round the neighbors down to 190.

So 500 feet of cable and 190 kind neighbors allowing him to plug his bike
in. This now brings up the problem of cable return (How does he get the
cable back to plug it into the next house) . I would think some type of
geared rig to compensate for the 640lbs of cable and associated friction
could be rigged to the 5hp motor to coil the wire back up. Allowing him to
plug into the next house.

Problem is if the OP lives in a rural area with no or few neighbors. Than I
would suggest contacting the local power company. See if they would let you
climb the pole and hookup. This would also allow the use of a higher
voltage, thus a longer run. More info would be needed from the OP as to the
actual supply voltage along the streets on his route.

VFD would be nice, but lose about 1/3 of the HP on the motor. RPC might
be
a better choice.

Huh? How do you expect to lose 1/3 of the motor's horsepower
with a VFD? With a so-called "static" phase converter (which in reality
is a starting capacitor and the necessary switching to take it out once
the motor is started), yes -- you would lose about 1/3 of the motor's
horsepower rating.

OPPS Brain slip. I got static converters and VFDs confused. Good thing I
am not designing this thing.

Now -- you might want to over-rate the VFD a bit if you are
going to be drawing full rating from it for long. But even a 7.5 HP VFD
will weigh a lot less than the 5HP motor. I know, because I've got an
old one on my shop wall.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Tried looking up some rulings in the old NEC book, but cannot find any
reference to powered bicycles at all. At least the insurance company cannot
refuse ya if you get hurt on the thing.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Roger_Nickel

Chris wrote:
"JohnM" wrote in message

[...]

Of course, if he lives in a city with electric trolley buses then
all of his problems disapear. More people could make use of this
free and convenient overhead power source. 400 volts DC and enough
current available for even the most outrageously overpowered
electric bicycle.
Chris

"Roger_Nickel" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
"JohnM" wrote in message

[...]

LMAO.

Although very feasible. Could you imagine some nut driving around with a
pole on his bicycle to catch the power from the trolley lines? Better yet,
no tires to wear as he would have to ride on the track as well.

Than again San Fran is full of nuts and trolleys. Wonder why we have not
seen it.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:41:54 GMT, Ed Earl Ross

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Some places the speed of unlicensed vehicles and motorized bicycles
is limited, check your local laws.

In most Canadian jurisdictions any powered bicycle that CAN move on
it's own, without pedaling, is considered a moped - limited to 50cc
engine displacement and, IIRC, 25MPH.
Anything else (bigger, faster, or no pedals) is a motorcycle. Both
need to be licenced. Both require a driver's licence to operate - a
moped can be driven on an automotive licence.

If you can design it that it can ONLY move if you are pedaling, it
becomes a motor assisted bicycle and MAY be allowed to run without a
licence. Virtually the only way this has been done is with electric
power.
Artemia Salina

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:41:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Now -- you can reduce the current, and thus increase the
distance or reduce the gauge by stepping the voltage up high and
reducing it with a transformer on the bike -- but that would add enough
weight to neutralize the benefits.

AH! But if you put the transformer (and wire) in a TRAILER then the
bicycle will stay the same weight!!1 In fact, running with that logic,
if the cyclist himself were to be seated in the trailer then the
system would be even MORE efficient!!!!

Chris

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:41:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Now -- you can reduce the current, and thus increase the
distance or reduce the gauge by stepping the voltage up high and
reducing it with a transformer on the bike -- but that would add enough
weight to neutralize the benefits.

AH! But if you put the transformer (and wire) in a TRAILER then the
bicycle will stay the same weight!!1 In fact, running with that logic,
if the cyclist himself were to be seated in the trailer then the
system would be even MORE efficient!!!!

Of course! But the robotic controls and the associated processing equipment
would surely outweigh the person pedaling the bike.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Artemia Salina

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:50:46 -0400, Chris wrote:

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:41:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Now -- you can reduce the current, and thus increase the
distance or reduce the gauge by stepping the voltage up high and
reducing it with a transformer on the bike -- but that would add enough
weight to neutralize the benefits.

AH! But if you put the transformer (and wire) in a TRAILER then the
bicycle will stay the same weight!!1 In fact, running with that logic,
if the cyclist himself were to be seated in the trailer then the
system would be even MORE efficient!!!!

Of course! But the robotic controls and the associated processing equipment
would surely outweigh the person pedaling the bike.

NO NO NO!! You attach airfoils to the robotics to provide LIFT!!

JohnM

samc wrote:
Nick Müller wrote:

samc wrote:

I am folowing this thread (sort of) what on earth is "DHMO" ?

If you go back to the start, you will find this link:
http://www.dhmo.org

Nick

thanks

We really need to do something about this, have you spoken with your
neighbors? If you haven't, please do.. it takes all of us to make the
world a better place.

John
Artemia Salina

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:08:36 -0700, stryped wrote:

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

About as fast as five horses.

If its a ten-speed bike then each speed will let you faster
by half of a horse, so that in first gear you can go as fast
as half of a horse, second gear will be like one whole horse,
third gear you can go as fast as one and one half horses, etc.

Nick Müller

Chris wrote:

95040 / 500 (length of extension) = 190.08 neighbors.

But with 500 feet extension, you can go a distance of 1000 feet.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Artemia Salina

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:37:13 +0200, Nick Müller wrote:

Chris wrote:

95040 / 500 (length of extension) = 190.08 neighbors.

But with 500 feet extension, you can go a distance of 1000 feet.

Oh I think if you had 500 feet you could go a lot farther than that.
He probably wouldn't even need the bicycle then.

Nick Müller

Artemia Salina wrote:

Oh I think if you had 500 feet you could go a lot farther than that.

In cicles? Yes. :-)

Nick