Steve W.

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle

be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles

away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5

horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above

my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike?

Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an

interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?

Well your about 100 years to late. The early motorcycles were all
bicycles with added gas engines.
As for current ones. the Whizzer bikes are still available as is an add
on engine for bikes that uses a 2 stroke and a contact wheel to drive a
standard bike. Top speed is around 20 mph.

As for a 5 HP, you could get a top speed around 60 without much work.
BUT then it would be a motorcycle in most states.

--
Steve W.