F. George McDuffee

Back to the future...
See
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/whizzer.htm
http://www.angelwings.com/whizzer/
http://www.extreme-scooters.com/whizzerpacemaker.htm

Your major problem (once you get it running and past the DMV)
will be being catapulted into the cemetery by a sweet young thing
driving a gigunda SUV and talking on her cell phone. Famous last
words you will hear are "but officer, I didn't even see him ..."
fade to black

Buy a ready to go scooter or motorcycle [I suggest a minimum of
250 cc for US conditions] and take the MSF new riders course [see
http://www.msf-usa.org/ ] even if its not required in your state
*BEFORE* you hit the road. Always wear a safety helmet.

As for your questions about how fast you can go with a 5 hp motor
-- fast enough to get killed.

On 8 Sep 2005 09:08:36 -0700, wrote:

because of the high proce of gas, would putting a motor on a bicycle be
practicle to get to work a few days a week? I live about 18 miles away
it is all highway with a wide berm for bicycles. I have a spare 5 horse
motor from an old tiller. Could I mount a bracket and put it above my
back wheel to drive the back wheel on my 10 speed mountain bike? Would
I be able to pedal it home if the engine failed? How would I rig a
clutch of some sort or would I even need it? Seems like an interesting
project.

How fast could you go with a 5 horse motor?