Default FS: Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175

I am hesitant to post this on an international usenet group since it is
highly unlikely that anyone outside my area would be interested,
however, I want to give our group members first crack at this before I
put it in the local paper.

For Sale:

Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 complete with LA-9 TIG torch, Foot Amptrol
remote current control, stick electrode holder, Victor gas pressure
regulator/flow gauge, and a somewhat cheesy but very practical home
made cart that holds the welder and an argon cylinder. I am in
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and am asking Cdn$ 1200.

I am selling it because I bought a Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185 TSW,
primarily for the portability, and would encourage any prospective
buyers to do the same if they can afford the Cdn$2333 landed cost.

Harold Kroeker
Winnipeg

I tried to buy the Thermal Arc 185TSW from my local Thermal Arc dealer
in Winnipeg but he was unable to get one because it does not have CSA
approval. I ended up ordering it from the Indiana Oxygen Company
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com for US$1630 plus US$56 for UPS
ground shipping. I clear all of my own packages through customs so
there were no brokerage fees. I paid customs 7% pst and 7% gst for a
total of C$272.90 and there was no duty on the welder or the included
accessories. IOC was a treat to deal with and were very comfortable
with shipping goods to Canada. I ordered the welder on Aug 24th and
received it on Aug 30th.

The power requirements for the two welders are quite diffrent but both
have a NEMA 6-50 230V 50A welding plug. The 185TSW draws a maximum of
38A in stick mode and 29A in Tig mode. The SW175 draws maximum 54A in
AC/DC stick and DC tig mode and 71A in AC Tig mode. On the other hand,
I ran my SW175 off of a 40A range circuit for a few years and never
tripped the breaker.

I hope this helps.
Harold

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Kevin Y.

Harold, I also live in Canada. How do you clear your own UPS packages
through customs. I'm curious to how you let UPS know that your clearing the
item yourself and what the process is?

BTW I ordered a plasma cutter from IOC a year ago and Bill with IOC was
great to deal with. I just sold my Heliarc machine so I planning to phone
IOC up after weekend and order 185TSW. The boss won't let me order the
machine before I got rid of my old one.

Kevin

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

To start clearing my own packages through UPS I had to send a fax to
the UPS Data Maintenance department stating that I wanted to do so. As
I understand it, when a package from a foreign country arrives at UPS
they key the receiver's name to see if they have their own customs
broker. I my case, the computer tells them that I clear my own parcels.
I get a phone call telling me that I have a parcel to clear, then I
drive to the UPS office, which is separate from the processing
facility, and pick up the documentation associated with the shipment. I
then drive to the Canada Customs office, give them the paperwork and
pay any duties and taxes owing. They stamp the UPS form which I then
take to the processing facility and pick up my parcel. I suggest that
you call UPS and make sure that this option is available where you live
and to get the current fax number.

When you consider the time and gas used driving around to clear your
own parcels, the brokerage fees are not unreasonable. It just so
happens that in Winnipeg the Canada Customs office is only a few blocks
from UPS so it works out to be cost effective for me.

Harold