To start clearing my own packages through UPS I had to send a fax to
the UPS Data Maintenance department stating that I wanted to do so. As
I understand it, when a package from a foreign country arrives at UPS
they key the receiver's name to see if they have their own customs
broker. I my case, the computer tells them that I clear my own parcels.
I get a phone call telling me that I have a parcel to clear, then I
drive to the UPS office, which is separate from the processing
facility, and pick up the documentation associated with the shipment. I
then drive to the Canada Customs office, give them the paperwork and
pay any duties and taxes owing. They stamp the UPS form which I then
take to the processing facility and pick up my parcel. I suggest that
you call UPS and make sure that this option is available where you live
and to get the current fax number.

When you consider the time and gas used driving around to clear your
own parcels, the brokerage fees are not unreasonable. It just so
happens that in Winnipeg the Canada Customs office is only a few blocks
from UPS so it works out to be cost effective for me.

Harold

Kevin Y. wrote:
Harold, I also live in Canada. How do you clear your own UPS packages
through customs. I'm curious to how you let UPS know that your clearing the
item yourself and what the process is?

BTW I ordered a plasma cutter from IOC a year ago and Bill with IOC was
great to deal with. I just sold my Heliarc machine so I planning to phone
IOC up after weekend and order 185TSW. The boss won't let me order the
machine before I got rid of my old one.

Kevin