RBW

Default Leak in Air Compressor

I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

Grant Erwin

RBW wrote:

I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

If it's leaking in one place, it most likely is about ready to everywhere else
as well. My advice is to replace the tank (sorry!) unless you can remove it,
somehow clean it, and slosh around some of that epoxy stuff they use to fix
leaks in motorcycle tanks. Welding is about as useful as bubble gum here ..

GWE
Chris

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
RBW wrote:

I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

If it's leaking in one place, it most likely is about ready to everywhere
else as well. My advice is to replace the tank (sorry!) unless you can
remove it, somehow clean it, and slosh around some of that epoxy stuff
they use to fix leaks in motorcycle tanks. Welding is about as useful as
bubble gum here ..

GWE

Have to agree with Grant on this one. If it rusted through, metal is so
thin that a welder will only make it larger.

Might work. But the leak is telling you something. Safety is the larger
concern here.

I have heard that now in CA you need to have an approval sticker. So if in
CA be warned. I am sure the insurance company will want to see a sticker if
anything goes wrong.

Chris

Dave Hinz

On 31 Aug 2005 09:14:55 -0700, RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

Chris

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 31 Aug 2005 09:14:55 -0700, RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

Well if we use 800fps as the basis for flying shrapnel, and a 1 second
reaction time for a 20year old to react, than I would figure about 800'
would be needed. Simple math indeed.

If you are older than 20 please adjust length accordingly.

Chris

Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:28:03 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:
RBW wrote:

I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

If it's leaking in one place, it most likely is about ready to everywhere else
as well. My advice is to replace the tank (sorry!) unless you can remove it,
somehow clean it, and slosh around some of that epoxy stuff they use to fix
leaks in motorcycle tanks. Welding is about as useful as bubble gum here ..

And worst case, 'the tank leaking everywhere else' can lead to an
explosive failure of the tank - if a welded seam or a weakened spot in
the steel unzips, there is a hell of a lot of energy stored in that
tank. If it lets go explosively, it can throw shrapnel and kill or
maim anyone unlucky enough to be standing there.

BBW: If the motor and compressor are still good, you can get a new
receiver tank and transfer all the operating bits over to it.

Unless you have one leak isolated on a weld that you are sure was
caused by a bad weld, I would NOT screw around with trying to repair
the old tank - just scrap it. If you do try to fix it, get a
hydrotest done afterwards - much better if it unzips when it's only
full of high pressure water for the test, it won't scatter parts.

This is NOT the time to try a half-assed repair yourself.

Unless you feel a real need to restore and keep an original antique
tank in service - then you need to send it to a ASME Certified Boiler
and Tank repair shop (I forget which Code Stamp Certification they
need for air tanks) with a Certified Welder on staff. Where they will
pull the inspection plugs, scope out the condition from the inside and
magnetically check the metal from the outside, cut out and fix all the
rusty and weak spots, clean and paint it inside and out, and then
hydrotest and recertify the tank.

All this work will probably cost you more than just buying a new
receiver tank, because of the economies of modern mass production.
Normally, people only spend that kind of money on one-off equipment
that can't be replaced easily, like steam locomotives and custom
industrial tanks. Or on industrial boilers and equipment so big that
it can't be moved, the repair shop personnel pack up their gear and
make a house call.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Tom Gardner

Tanks are cheap! Anything involving a doctor is expensive! I saw a mobile
home that once held an air tank that blew, changed my outlook some.

I have a great idea for a new product! Kevlar compressor armor for all the
tank repairmen out there.

"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

Jerry Martes

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 31 Aug 2005 09:14:55 -0700, RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

How Long is a Chinese name.

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:29:40 GMT, the renowned "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 31 Aug 2005 09:14:55 -0700, RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

How Long is a Chinese name.

A person? Usually 3 characters, and thus usually 3 syllables.

eg.

Mao Ze Deng
Deng Xiao Ping
Kong Fu Zi (Confucius)
Zou En lai
Sun Yat Sen
Jiang Jie shi (Chiang Kai-shek)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
RoyJ

Just find someone who has an "oil less" compressor, stand around and
wait. The tank will be available shortly. I have a 30 gallon freebee
that is only 12 months old.

RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

SteveF

"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

There was an interesting piece in either Journal of Light Construction or
Fine Homebuilding where the author described watching an air compressor tank
explode and the whole thing fly completely over a two story house and land
on the other side. Apparently the air hose got hooked on something
otherwise it would have landed a yard or two over.

Steve.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:20:48 GMT, the blithe spirit "Tom Gardner"
clearly indicated:

Tanks are cheap! Anything involving a doctor is expensive! I saw a mobile
home that once held an air tank that blew, changed my outlook some.

Yabbut, bodies are adaptable to 2 or 3 atmosphere changes. (Ever been
swimming/diving?) Houses and mobile homes aren't. They just expand at
whatever point is weakest, like blowing out all the windows at once or
peeling the top off like a soda can poptop.

1.5 atmospheres (8psi boost) will blow a house apart while causing
us to yawn, instantly adapting to it due to slight discomfort.
(The shrapnel would be a different story.

So, how many people here have experienced exploding tanks? (Everything
I've seen has been pinhole leaks, then larger holes from cleanup, like
Gunner and his screwdriver-through-the-steel-freeze-plug episode. I've
done a lot of freeze plugs like that, too.)

If any, how many of those tanks were old and rusted/leaking?

Accident records I've seen indicate that tank explosions were (nearly)
all caused by sticking safety valves where tank pressures were doubled
or tripled before they gave way.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
Chris

Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

.-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!

Never seen a nuclear explosion either.

Does that mean it is ok to play with splitting atoms?

Chris
Just kidding.

RBW

SteveF wrote:
"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

There was an interesting piece in either Journal of Light Construction or
Fine Homebuilding where the author described watching an air compressor tank
explode and the whole thing fly completely over a two story house and land
on the other side. Apparently the air hose got hooked on something
otherwise it would have landed a yard or two over.

Steve.

OK You have my attention. Thanks for the advice. I will back off and
buy another one. Any suggestions on what to buy or avoid?

Chris

SteveF wrote:
"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

There was an interesting piece in either Journal of Light Construction or
Fine Homebuilding where the author described watching an air compressor
tank
explode and the whole thing fly completely over a two story house and
land
on the other side. Apparently the air hose got hooked on something
otherwise it would have landed a yard or two over.

Steve.

OK You have my attention. Thanks for the advice. I will back off and
buy another one. Any suggestions on what to buy or avoid?

Have not seen any Chinese tanks on our shores yet, so you should be safe.

If you can afford and find one, new or very close to new. Lots of water in
there to cause rust.

Charles Spitzer

i just got one of these
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...284&R=158 284
at a good price. free shipping.

"RBW" wrote in message
ups.com...

SteveF wrote:
"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

There was an interesting piece in either Journal of Light Construction or
Fine Homebuilding where the author described watching an air compressor
tank
explode and the whole thing fly completely over a two story house and
land
on the other side. Apparently the air hose got hooked on something
otherwise it would have landed a yard or two over.

Steve.

OK You have my attention. Thanks for the advice. I will back off and
buy another one. Any suggestions on what to buy or avoid?

Chris

"RBW" wrote in message
ups.com...

SteveF wrote:
"RBW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

There was an interesting piece in either Journal of Light Construction or
Fine Homebuilding where the author described watching an air compressor
tank
explode and the whole thing fly completely over a two story house and
land
on the other side. Apparently the air hose got hooked on something
otherwise it would have landed a yard or two over.

Steve.

OK You have my attention. Thanks for the advice. I will back off and
buy another one. Any suggestions on what to buy or avoid?

RBW,
You should clarify, just the tank? Or a whole new rig?

Chris

Chris

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
i just got one of these
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...284&R=158 284
at a good price. free shipping.

Charles,

Not bad at all. Is the motor made in the US as well?

Chris

Charles Spitzer

"Chris" wrote in message

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
i just got one of these
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...284&R=158 284
at a good price. free shipping.

Charles,

Not bad at all. Is the motor made in the US as well?

Chris

i believe so. i think all i-r are.

Tom Gardner

You just know I have a Kelog with a wee little crack by the leg that I
ignore for ten years now. It's not used but a back-up.

Tom Gardner

OK You have my attention. Thanks for the advice. I will back off and
buy another one. Any suggestions on what to buy or avoid?

Avoid one with a leak in it!

(I just HAD to say it)

I went looking for a replacement air tank recently and quickly found an
oilless compressor at a repair shop that the owner hadn't returned to
pick up, and the tank from an HD upright unit that had fallen over, at
a surplus dealer. I got the 60 gallon HD tank and motor for $75.
I replaced the broken pressure switch cover with a blue plastic
electrical box, slightly modified.

After checking it over carefully I rinsed it with LPS3, which in my
experience controls rust very well if reapplied every 3 years as LPS
suggests. The drain water from the small compressor I built from
Grainger parts in the 70's still isn't rusty.

jw

Bugs

Follow the other advice given here and replace the tank. I have been
involved as an expert witness in several cases involving exploded air
tanks that killed & maimed.
Every tank should be hydrostatically tested to 2X the working pressure
when you buy a used tank and every 5 yrs. after.
Bugs

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Dave Hinz wrote back on 31
Aug 2005 17:51:16 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On 31 Aug 2005 09:14:55 -0700, RBW wrote:
I need advice on how to fix a leak in an older air compressor. I do not
have a welder. Will simply drilling out the hole and putting in small
plug work? Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

Twice the distance from one end to the middle.

the easiest way to do this hang on to both ends and flip the middle
into the air, the estimate how high is up.

--
pyotr filipivich.
RBW

The motor appears fine. It is about a 20 year old Champion compressor.
My delimma would be whether a new one would be the route or and whether
the cost of a new tank and potential for other problems would
outweight the savings.

Gunner

On 1 Sep 2005 09:41:44 -0700, "RBW" wrote:

The motor appears fine. It is about a 20 year old Champion compressor.
My delimma would be whether a new one would be the route or and whether
the cost of a new tank and potential for other problems would
outweight the savings.

Depending on where you are..tanks can be a dime a dozen. Usually the
pump swallows its ass, and they toss the pump, keep the tank for a
couple years in a dark corner somewhere with big ideas of making it a
receiver for extra air storage, never follow up and then finally wind
up tossing it in the dumpster. Commercial shops that is....

Ive gotten about 6 tanks in the last couple years this way, not even
looking for them, and given them to friends for extra storage when
using a DA sander etc.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner