Randy Replogle

Default 1933 Altas lathe??

My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.
Thanks,
Randy
jim rozen

In article , Randy Replogle says...

My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?

You could try:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page2.html

Jim

please reply to:
Rex B

Send me a photo and I can probably tell you what you have.
Might even have the pieces you are missing, as I'm about to part out a
10" Atlas.

Here's a good source of knowledge:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Randy Replogle wrote:
My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.
Thanks,
Randy

Randy Replogle

On 31 Aug 2005 10:12:17 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Randy Replogle says...

My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?

You could try:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page2.html

Jim

Thanks, guys. I thnk it is:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/index.html
"First Atlas Series-10 lathe Model 10 circa 1934"

Randy
Randy Replogle

Randy Replogle wrote:
My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.
Thanks,
Randy

Hi Rex,
See my response to Jim.
Randy

Rex B

Randy Replogle wrote:
My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.

I bought one almost identical to that recently, except that all the
drive stuff was replaced by a 2 HP DC motor with a variable-speed
controller box. Unfortunately they also got rid of the leadscrew and the
gear train to turn it. I'm currently trying to decide whether to
rebuild it or part it out.

Rex
Mike Henry

I have an original manual (dated 1933) for a Sears Metalcraft lathe that was
claimed to have a 9" swing. You can find a PDF file of the scanned manual
he

http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/searslathe.pdf

Most (all?) of the later Sears/Craftsman lathes in this size category were
made by Atlas so the above manual might be useful to you. The vintage
certainly sounds to be in the right ballpark.

Mike

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.
Thanks,
Randy

Randy Replogle

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:00:16 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

I have an original manual (dated 1933) for a Sears Metalcraft lathe that was
claimed to have a 9" swing. You can find a PDF file of the scanned manual
he

http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/searslathe.pdf

Most (all?) of the later Sears/Craftsman lathes in this size category were
made by Atlas so the above manual might be useful to you. The vintage
certainly sounds to be in the right ballpark.

Mike

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
.. .
My dad picked up an old lathe for $15. It is missing several parts
including the compound, leadscrew, probably threading gears,
handwheels, etc. I think it's an Atlas from pictures on the net but
it's not exactly the same model. There is a gear change plate that
mentions the year 1933. Does anyone have a picture and/or model info?
I think it's probably 10" swing.
Thanks,
Randy

Thank you very much. It looks like a perfect match except for the
legs.
Randy