william_b_noble

as carl said - not insanity, but a bit misguided - your motor will be very
heavy for his app - there are 300 HP motors (!!!) that are about 4in
diameterX8 inches long (if I remember right) - used in aircraft
applications - not 300 HP continuous, mind you - that type of motor is what
he really needs. probably more than 3 phase, but it's been a while and I
don't remember the details - it did have a PM armature
"carl mciver" wrote in message
.net...
"Ignoramus32687" wrote in message
| I had a visitor yesterday who responded to my craigslist ad about a
| free 200V 7.5 HP 3 phase motor. A pleasant, intelligent young man. I
| asked him what he was doing with the motor, and he replied that he was
| going to build an electric motorcycle. His plan is, apparently, to
| have a motorcycle based on batteries, inverter, phase converter, and a
| 3 phase motor drive. I just could not believe what I heard. (and still
| have doubts about his veracity) Am I going crazy or does this sound
| like a completely insane idea to you?

Not insane. Just ignorant. Not his fault. I bet that he's got just
enough knowledge under his belt to be dangerous, so if I were you, I'd let
him have it. He can't kill himself (I doubt it, anyway!) with it but I'm
sure he'll learn a whole lot about efficiency in the process, which
coupled
with his real understanding of how things work, will undoubtedly be useful
some day. Let him know that you'd like to be there if he has any issues,
which will for sure be the case. You never know, he just might come up
with
something useful, although not what he started out to do!
I've done far worse than that when I was a kid. My dad really got fed
up with all the fuses I was blowing in the house from junk I was whipping
up
and plugging into the wall! I'd say I've done a bit better as I got older
and just slightly wiser.

steamer

--Check out the National Electric Drag Racing Association, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
daniel peterman

You could always put the batteries in a trailer or a sidecar. Still
sorta cobby but it might get him around the block.
Wait till Doug Goncz reads this and tells about his super capacitor
powered bicycle.

daniel peterman

I pedaled my 100lb Puch moped about 3 miles in a pouring rain late at
night and part of it was up a very long steep hill. I had run ot of gas
and there was a girl (and gas) waiting for me at the destination so I
was motivated and only 19 years old.