Luds

Default Melting Tungsten - New to TIG welding

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Martin H. Eastburn

Luds wrote:

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Do you have the polarity backwards ?
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Jon Elson

Luds wrote:
Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Something is WAY wrong! Now, the very TIP of the electrode is supposed
to melt, just a little, when you are at the upper end of the current
range for that size. What electrodes are you using? Pure Tungsten
(EWP)? Those are only good for serious pros who are required to use
them in aerospace work. Get some Zirconiated electrodes for Aluminum,
and Thoriated or Lanthanated for mild steels. That makes a HUGE
difference.

Are you absolutely sure you have water flowing through the torch?
Are you absolutely sure the current control is working?
You should be using 100% Argon, and probably flowing 5-10 Cu Ft/Hr
for modest sized electrodes.

Jon

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Luds wrote:

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Do you have the polarity backwards ?
Martin

That would be my guess, too.

Harold

Bugs

Check your gas. My supplier gave me a tank of 20% CO2/80% Argon. I had
blue fits trying to weld AL until I discovered the goof. It works fine
on steels.
Bugs

footy

What size electrode? What kind of electrode (pure tungsten, 2%
zirconiated, etc.) What current? What shielding gas? What flow rate?
What size filler rod? How thick is the metal you are welding?
Gunner

Luds wrote:

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Do you have the polarity backwards ?
Martin

That would be my guess, too.

Harold

I found that out..the same way I found out how to melt an
endmill....sigh

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Harold and Susan Vordos

Luds wrote:

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup

is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Do you have the polarity backwards ?
Martin

That would be my guess, too.

Harold

I found that out..the same way I found out how to melt an
endmill....sigh

Gunner

Chuckle!

An admission that you, like the rest of us, are perfectly normal? g
Don't ask.

Harold

Gunner

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:58:37 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .

Luds wrote:

[...]

Of course Harold. I dont walk on water, and I put my pants on one leg
at a time. I even manage to get the fly in the front most of the
time...

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:58:37 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .

Luds wrote:

[...]

Front? The fly goes in front? ;-)

Harold

Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
Four questions form novice to welding mongke Metalworking 7 January 1st 04 04:12 AM
tig welding problems drew j. Metalworking 4 November 25th 03 09:48 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM