mongke

Default Four questions form novice to welding

Thanks in advance for the input

Here it goes:

1. Are flux coated steel arc welding electrodes no good for oxyacet
welding?. I tried a few I got with poor results. The electrode does not
add easily to the puddle and in fact it often sticks to the base metal. Of
course it could be my nil experience in welding, but I'm intriged.

2. I bought some no name cheapie goggles. The lenses are plastic with a
greenbluish hue, supposedly compliant with ANSI Z87.1. These cut
effectively the flames's bright, but I found i could not see well the
workpieces. I went out and got new goggles, brand name, these have a pane
of thick green glass, clearly marked shade 5 and ANSI, DIN and ISO
compliant, rated for arc welding. With these, noticeably clearer, I can
see much better the work, the puddle, the flame structure is visible and
now I even can see the regulators' gauges!. However, there is more light
from the flame coming through, on occasions slightly dazzling, sp. when
lighting the torch. I have noticed no eye discomfort or pain so far, but I
weld/cut for just about 1 hr every other day. Do I need to be concerned
about my eyes?

3. What does it mean "do not wear contact lenses when welding"? I use
contacts and of course I slip the goggles on when welding. The lenses
still have not fused to my eyeballs. What is the deal with this warning?

4. Suppose I cut steel pieces with torch. If I want to weld/braze them
along the cutting lines, do the cut pieces need to receive some treatment
prior to the welding?

Happy New Year everybody, BTW

Mongke
mongke

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:51:00 +0000, Loren Coe wrote:

In article , mongke wrote:
Thanks in advance for the input

4. Suppose I cut steel pieces with torch. If I want to weld/braze them
along the cutting lines, do the cut pieces need to receive some treatment
prior to the welding? Happy New Year everybody, BTW Mongke

if the cut is "proper", ie, clean and w/o slag, it is ready to weld.
for brazing? i dunno, probably need to brush or grind it, get it all
bright. good luck, --Loren

But what about temper? If the metal gets so hot when cutting, wouldn't it
affect the strenght in the area just along the cut?

Mongke

mongke

In article , mongke wrote:
Thanks in advance for the input

4. Suppose I cut steel pieces with torch. If I want to weld/braze them
along the cutting lines, do the cut pieces need to receive some treatment
prior to the welding? Happy New Year everybody, BTW Mongke

if the cut is "proper", ie, clean and w/o slag, it is ready to weld.
for brazing? i dunno, probably need to brush or grind it, get it all
bright. good luck, --Loren

But what about temper? If the metal gets so hot when cutting, wouldn't it
affect the strenght in the area just along the cut? Mongke

if you are truly a newbie, not using exotic metals, welding mild steel,
stop worrying. tempering is something to worry about later, and it
is done after welding is completed. --Loren

O.K.

Happy New Year!

Mongke
Loren Coe

In article , mongke wrote:
Thanks in advance for the input

Here it goes:

1. Are flux coated steel arc welding electrodes no good for oxyacet
welding?. I tried a few I got with poor results. The electrode does not

no good is correct, use plain rod for gas, even a coat hanger will be
better. the flux coating is vaporized in the arc and shields the
puddle from the atmosphere. in a gas flame, the flux does nothing
good and probably gets incorporated into the puddle. the gas itself
is the shield, thus no flux needed (for steel).

4. Suppose I cut steel pieces with torch. If I want to weld/braze them
along the cutting lines, do the cut pieces need to receive some treatment
prior to the welding? Happy New Year everybody, BTW Mongke

if the cut is "proper", ie, clean and w/o slag, it is ready to weld.
for brazing? i dunno, probably need to brush or grind it, get it all
bright. good luck, --Loren

Mark Rand

In article , mongke wrote:
Thanks in advance for the input

4. Suppose I cut steel pieces with torch. If I want to weld/braze them
along the cutting lines, do the cut pieces need to receive some treatment
prior to the welding? Happy New Year everybody, BTW Mongke

if the cut is "proper", ie, clean and w/o slag, it is ready to weld.
for brazing? i dunno, probably need to brush or grind it, get it all
bright. good luck, --Loren

But what about temper? If the metal gets so hot when cutting, wouldn't it
affect the strenght in the area just along the cut? Mongke

if you are truly a newbie, not using exotic metals, welding mild steel,
stop worrying. tempering is something to worry about later, and it
is done after welding is completed. --Loren

O.K.

Happy New Year!

Mongke

Adding to Lorens comments:-
The heat required for brazing is enough to affect the temper of almost any
steel (even HSS if you aren't careful, ask how I found out!).

If you wanted to braze pieces that you had cut with an oxy-acetylene torch,
you would almost certainly have to grind or file them to get the edges clean
and flat enough to get a good brazed joint (about 0.005" max gap). You would
probably want to clean them up with an angle grinder before gas welding as
well.

Have fun

Mark Rand
RTFM
Tim Williams

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
The heat required for brazing is enough to affect the temper of almost any
steel (even HSS if you aren't careful, ask how I found out!).

Heck, if you're using brass filler, you're only about 500 degrees from the
quenching temperature, as I recall. Come to think of it, I bet you could do
some furnace brazing with copper filler on HSS and get it to come out
right... Unless the Cu diffuses into the metal or something...

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

GSH & HW. novice questions .pls help Ebodski UK diy 20 January 18th 16 09:43 AM
tig welding problems drew j. Metalworking 4 November 25th 03 09:48 PM
GSH & HW. novice questions .pls help Ebodski UK diy 0 September 13th 03 11:16 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM